Old 08-20-2015, 04:40 AM
OurWorkbench

About a half hour's slow and careful work with a file and a micrometer restored the shaft of the White Rotary 11 to a more perfectly round condition. Measuring frequently as I progressed allowed me to only file away what I needed to.

(White 11 - Shaft Repair)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528265[/ATTACH]

The handwheel, too, needed to have some scratches removed from being forced off the damaged shaft. I did this with fine sandpaper and emery cloth along with a dowel to smooth and polish the inside of the hole.

(White 11 - Handwheel Repair)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528264[/ATTACH]

After filing, the shaft measured the same diameter at any angle, allowing the handwheel and clutch knob to slip on and off and to turn freely.

(White 11 - Shaft Measurements)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528266[/ATTACH]

After re-assembly and oiling I tried it. The disengaged handwheel will now turn for over twenty seconds, if I give it a really hard spin.

But getting the handwheel and clutch knob turning properly revealed another issue. The clutch latch does not engage the slot. The slot is slightly too narrow for it. It produces a slight detent or stopping point for the latch but it breaks loose easily.

I'm wondering if maybe the handwheel was changed for some reason and the clutch latch mechanisms were slightly different widths.

(White 11 - Clutch Latch & Slot)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528267[/ATTACH]

I've oiled the machine and I'm wanting to exercise it to loosen it up, but I need the handwheel and clutch to work in order to turn it.

I'm pretty sure the latch should slip fully into the slot. I'm inclined to widen the slot a little to accommodate it.

Any thoughts Greywuuf or anyone?

John
Attached Thumbnails white11-handwheelrepair.jpg   white11-shaftrepair.jpg   white11-shaftmeasure.jpg   white11latch.jpg