View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 02:31 AM
paoberle

[ QUOTE=ibex94;7296152]How about $10/hr + fabric & batting costs? How long does it take you to do each of those different sizes? I know this is the low end of pricing but just the fabric cost is going to make most of the quilts out of the price range for most people. As we know, you can go to TJMaxx and get a quilt for $50 or less depending on the sales. It would easily cost $400 for you to make a quilt for someone if you were going to charge by the hour. Comparing that price difference is going to make folks stop and rethink their craving for a homemade quilt. You do need to think of quiltmaking from the business perspective if you're going to sell them. Good luck![/QUOTE]

How in the world can you compare a quilt someone has made to a quilt made by someone to a quilt from TJ Maxx? There is a huge difference in the quality of the materials and work. If someone wants a hand made quilt, then they are going to have to pay for it and $400 is not unreasonable and probably low. I would probably double or triple my costs, depending on the difficulty of the pattern and quilting.