Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question About Pricing >

Question About Pricing

Question About Pricing

Old 09-01-2015, 10:58 AM

I suggest you go to http://huntersdesignstudio.com/ew-worth-it-2/ and read the articles. She has pricing forms that are very helpful.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kathy View Post
it is impossible to keep up with all your time and the cost and amount of fabric used so I GENERALLY start with $75 sq. yd figure length times width in inches, divide by 1296 (inches in a yard) times $75. then I consider any discount I may want to give or if it was a real PIA I may add more to it, but that's where I start. and yes I have a lot of unsold quilts that are made to my taste and may never be sold but when someone asks me to make one that's how I explain my pricing, if they mention WM or TJM I say then go buy one there and you can have one just like thousands of other people. very few people have backed out.
Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
I suggest you go to http://huntersdesignstudio.com/ew-worth-it-2/ and read the articles. She has pricing forms that are very helpful.
This is a very good article with great information/ explanation. I am the same way she is- I do not ( low- ball) myself. And I do not have problems selling my quilts. Commissions/ special orders are always discussed and agreed upon before a single fabric pulled or cut - including my receipt of a 50% non- refundable deposit. Quilts I make with no one in mind just because I want to make it I show off & someone (9 times out of 10) asks. "Is it for sale? I love/ want that quilt". The last one almost caused a fight. ( not literally but...) A lady had asked about the quilt, I told her what I wanted for it, she asked if she could think about it. I told her of course, I had no one else interested & still needed to hand stitch the binding. Couple days later it was done, she asked if I still had it- " yes" I went to get it, show it finish, another lady walked in-- oohed & awwwed asked about it, first lady said I think I'm going to get it- she wants ($$) for it- second lady said.... Heck, I'll give you +$100 for it! First lady's face fell. I laughed, & responded... If you want one I will make you a new one for that $$+100. Her response was- that's great, I want mine a little more personalized anyway. First lady went to the bank & brought me back the $$ before anyone else could get in on this....
I have had people request that I know are unable to afford one of my quilts- I am honest with them- and sometimes they wind up with one gifted to them down the road. I would rather give one away than lower the worth/value/ cost of my quilts.