Old 08-26-2015, 09:35 AM
ArchaicArcane

I don't mind metallics but I wonder what happens with them long term on a quilt that will be washed a fair bit. I haven't been quilting long enough to have seen my own "old" quilting. I saw a thread here not long ago about the metallic print fabric turning green, would the threads do this?

Both of these quilts will become camping quilts (trailer camping) and will likely get dragged in dirt and washed when we get home, etc.

Farm Quilter - Metallic threads can be challenging because they break easily and don't like extra twist. That said, if your tension is right - i.e looser than with say a poly or a cotton and balanced so the bobbin thread isn't tormenting it - it's just fine. I haven't run into a thread yet that I can't use on my machine with appropriate tension adjustment - there are ones I -won't- use again because I disliked them so much (like the Gutermann poly I was just trying to use up for practice that sliced some of my guides even with the tension so loose that the tensioner nut was almost falling off! And the lint! Worse than any cotton I've ever used.), but nothing that I can't. If I recall, the Superior Metallic is a poly core wrapped with metallic. That would do something similar to running a mono-poly with your metallic - and be friendlier still to use. Not to mention half the thread consumption of running a metallic with a mono-poly.