View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 11:44 AM
mimstrel

Default Where to start - Singer red-eye

About two years ago, my sister-in-law's great aunt died. A while later, my brother was helping to clean out her house, and the family was overwhelmed by all of the unfamiliar and antique craft supplies she had. Brotherling suggested that I would probably be willing to help them sort it out, since I probably used most of it.

They decided that rather than selling it to who-knows-who, they would gift it to me. The drop spindles and the sewing machine were the real treasures. I'd been wishing for an old treadle sewing machine to use for quilts, but couldn't justify the expense to buy a functional one. And a year and a half later, I am still flabbergasted to have been simply gifted one.

I've been slowly working on stripping and repairing the cabinet that this came in, but even with some damage to the wood, that's honestly the easy part. I know how to work with wood. It's restoring the machine itself that is slightly intimidating.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529082[/ATTACH]

It's honestly in really good shape. The woman who owned it still used it on a regular basis, as I understand it, and I checked before I took it out of the cabinet - it does still work! But it's got some rust and grease and if I'm going to clean it up, I might as well get it as shiny as I can.

Plus I suspect the drive band that connects to the treadle is going to break any day now.

Those of you who know more than me - any advice on where I should begin? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails img_6270.jpg