Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Where to start - Singer red-eye >

Where to start - Singer red-eye

Where to start - Singer red-eye

Old 08-28-2015, 11:44 AM

Default Where to start - Singer red-eye

About two years ago, my sister-in-law's great aunt died. A while later, my brother was helping to clean out her house, and the family was overwhelmed by all of the unfamiliar and antique craft supplies she had. Brotherling suggested that I would probably be willing to help them sort it out, since I probably used most of it.

They decided that rather than selling it to who-knows-who, they would gift it to me. The drop spindles and the sewing machine were the real treasures. I'd been wishing for an old treadle sewing machine to use for quilts, but couldn't justify the expense to buy a functional one. And a year and a half later, I am still flabbergasted to have been simply gifted one.

I've been slowly working on stripping and repairing the cabinet that this came in, but even with some damage to the wood, that's honestly the easy part. I know how to work with wood. It's restoring the machine itself that is slightly intimidating.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529082[/ATTACH]

It's honestly in really good shape. The woman who owned it still used it on a regular basis, as I understand it, and I checked before I took it out of the cabinet - it does still work! But it's got some rust and grease and if I'm going to clean it up, I might as well get it as shiny as I can.

Plus I suspect the drive band that connects to the treadle is going to break any day now.

Those of you who know more than me - any advice on where I should begin? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails img_6270.jpg  
Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 AM

That is a beautiful machine, your brother was great to think of you.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:06 PM

The decals on that machine are in really great shape so be real careful how and with what you clean it. Don't use any chemicals, alcohol, or anything with abrasives on it. That WILL destroy the decals.

For a machine like that I'd remove all the plated parts then use cotton swabs or make up removing pads and sewing machine oil only to clean it. Then if I felt it needed it I'd study Glenn's tutorials on redoing the Japan finish found here:
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t193635.html }
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t186522.html }

Joe
Old 08-28-2015, 12:39 PM

Congrats on a great gift! Your machine looks like it's in great shape. It won't take much at all to get it ready to sew again. As far as cleaning it, Joe nailed it. Also check out the sticky on cleaning old machines.

The plated parts can be cleaned easily with alcohol to dissolve old dried on oil. Just be sure NOT to get it near the machine itself. Alcohol dissolves shellac and will damage your finish.

New leather treadle belts are still available.

Your machine is a model 66. You can download a free manual at Singerco.com. You can find out how old it is here: http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...-database.html

Glenn also has a very good tutorial on restoring the finish on the woodwork. It's in the tutorials section.

I hope this helps,
Rodney
Old 08-28-2015, 08:17 PM

Thank you. I've been wondering the best way to clean up the bentwood section of the wood, so the tutorial by Glenn will be helpful.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:11 PM

Lucky you, I have two treadle but had to buy them and they are not cheap here in Central FL although there seems to be a fair number of them. Guess they are brought south when people retire and then friends who have an estate business get them to sell. Even in thrift stores they are not cheap. Show us when it is all done.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:04 AM

Got some sewing machine oil this weekend and cleaned up most of the machine itself. Still need to fix up the plated parts.

My concern is the corrosion on the bed slide (there's a little bit elsewhere, but it isn't as troublesome as what's on the slide). Is there a way to get that back to smooth without damaging the rest of the plate?
Old 09-08-2015, 03:12 PM

yours is beautiful! I may sew a garment bag on mine tonight/tomorrow if I can muster up the energy to venture out and get lucky enough to find the right hanger for the project...lot's of IFs. then I guess I may get to have learn how to make button holes fun..HA! never done buttonholes except for one button a long time ago and that was a matter of pure luck. not even sure if this will do buttonholes- guess the buttonholer in the green box would work huh? but not that far along yet!

this is a beautiful machine!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:03 PM

The belt is obtainable from several sources. Sew-Classic.com has most of the parts you will need. My 66 has back clamp attachments. TriFlo oil will be a necessity as well as TriFlo grease. Don't use ANYTHING that can damage those beautiful decals. Grease and oil are the lifeblood of the sewing machine. It won't be denied for long.