View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 01:02 PM
amma
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by amma
Some of the light tomato sauces in Italian cookbooks are really good and healthy. Chopped tomatoes and herbs and it is not a heavy thick sauce, nor do you cover the noodles as heavily, but you get a good flavor and it fills you up.
I could really use a recipe for a light tomato sauce, if you have one (without mushrooms).
These sauces I have been making, do not completely "cover" the noodles like a tradional sauce.

A large can of cut up tomatoes
A tblspoon of Italian seasoning
garlic to taste
large chicken breast cut into chunks

I put a 1/2 cup of water in a skillet and the tomatos, juice and all, garlic and seasoning and heat to boiling, add seasoning and chicken, reduce to a simmer. Add a little more water if it gets to dry. When the chicken is done add the noodles and lightly sprinkle with parmesan cheese. I like to add a tblspoon or so of olive oil too.
The secret is to go heavy on the seasonings for flavor, light on the cheese. Olive oil is healthy and "they" are saying now it is good for people with fibro, too :wink:
You can also add a "little" tomato sauce, but if you look on the cans, almost all add sugar to the sauce. The same with canned and jars of spaghetti sauce.

I do the same thing only substitute chili powder and mexican seasonings and use it with rice, for a low cal mexican rice dish.

You can have gravy with potatoes, noodles, rice. Just use canned broth. There is only 40+ calories to a whole can...plus a few more in the cornstarch or flour. Much healthier than using drippings :wink: Try adding different spices to this also :D