Old 09-01-2015, 11:21 AM
DMcG

Default Can you clean off a lacquered coating added to a vintage machine?

Hello! Very new to vintage machines. Got a redeye that was filthy, covered in dust, gunk, some rust. Talked to someone that collects machines and sent photos and started on the addiction!! I did not have the fortune of finding your site in my hunt for cleaning one. After cleaning the obvious dirt and dismantling sections to unfreeze and clean the parts, i began to clean the head. Nothing seemed to phase it. The decals were in decent shape but dark and dull. Tried Zymol cleaning wax and it was starting to wipe off the decals. Back to sewing oil. Nothing. Found where a site recommended TR-3 resin glaze and the machine, after one black cotton ball after another, started shining. Yes, it was taking the black off the decals, but also their color. Yes, cry, scream with and at me!!! We finally have come to think that it must have been coated with something to preserve the decals. Well, the other parts have cleaned, the machine is not frozen and I have the parts to replace. I have now come across another redeye but it definitely looks coated. I will try and attach pictures. Do I just basic clean, and leave it alone, or can that lacquer be cleaned off without destroying the decals? They are so dull and dark! I am excited about the videos and tutorials I have seen here already. Just wasn't sure that this issue was addressed. THANK YOU!!! {It is only shiny here because of light on it.}
Attached Thumbnails img_3594.jpg  

Last edited by DMcG; 09-01-2015 at 11:23 AM.