Old 09-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Knitette

Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
I would like to know what you think out there..those of you who do own a new Pfaff...I have one from the 60's that I got at a dump store thift store for $10 (with a good cabinet) and I have enjoyed sewing on it..........and my Bernina is once more back in the shop...getting to be a yearly thing and its only about 7-8 years old......I am thinking of buying something else and would love to know what you think about the Pfaff if you have one.....
I have the Quilt Expression 4.0 and the Performance 5. It's no secret I hated my first QE 4.0 - the machine was a dud and was replaced by a new one after three months. It really put me off !

Now, it's unlikely I'd buy any other brand, the IDT (built-in walking foot) is sooooo good, as well as the auto-pivot function, it's spoilt me for anything less, lol. I love playing around with the Stitch Creator and customising and creating my own stitches .

Before I bought the Performance 5, I went to a quilt show with the intention of buying a Bernina. Apart from the fact the sales person was rude and there isn't a dealer for 250 miles, it just didn't compare with the Pfaffs - you still have to put on an extra walking foot (at considerable cost!) for quilting layers. In effect, I'd be paying and extra £1000/$1600 for the stitch regulator which I found turgid and 'draggy'.

Originally Posted by aQuiltist View Post
Do you use the 5.0 for quilting?
The Performance 5 has 3 FMQ modes - I use the Sensormatic, where the foot 'hovers' above the fabric.

There's a great video here - be warned - it's nearly an hour long! Happy quilting.