View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 03:49 AM
fxtrtr

Thank you all for your replies. Here is a pic of the top:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529697[/ATTACH]
As you can see from the photo, some of the blocks are wavy. Do you think some of this will be less noticeable when it is quilted?

I did not wash this at all - it was a layer cake from Moda and I just joined the blocks. I didn't use sizing on them and I did try to be careful not to misshape them. I DID pull on the shorter of the two blocks when joining to make seams match and I did try to put the longer blocks on the bottom to take up some of that difference.

I wasn't really sure what I was doing with the "easing" and I do intend to Google that today and read up on it.

I think for my next layer cake project, I will check the blocks to be sure they are all the same size, since I know these were not. I will use sizing on them and press each one before starting my project. Then I will use the 1/4" foot that came with my machine and test to be sure it is 1/4". I am also getting a guide since I am notorious for getting "off the beaten path" when it comes to my stitching. I do stitch slowly since I know I have trouble with that.

I am debating on the pressing seams open or to the side. I have trouble pressing seams, I don't know why. I try to do it like I've seen on videos but my material looks like I've created a small lip by the seam and hence, I've just shorted my block. I did send for one of those strip sticks, hoping it will help. Any tricks you have for seams, I'm all ears!
Attached Thumbnails quilt-top.png