Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on squaring >

Question on squaring

Question on squaring

Old 09-03-2015, 05:50 PM

Exclamation Question on squaring

Let me start by saying I'm a novice at quilting. Ok, now to my question, which may not seem silly after reading the first sentence.

I'm attempting to make a quilt from a layer cake. I pressed (well, I pressed much later in the process, before that I was ironing, didn't realize there was a difference) the seams to the side and made 7 rows of 6 blocks. I did use a 1/4" seam allowance, with some consistency, I won't lie that at times it got off track.

After joining all my blocks into rows, I joined the rows together. Some rows didn't want to line up (the squares didn't want to join at the seams). I did the best I could for that.

I did not press the squares before joining or use any starch or sizing.

Now that I have all the rows joined, I'm ready to add borders. When I lay the top out on the floor, it doesn't lay completely flat. There are waves in some of the blocks.

My question is this: did I miss a step? Are there things I should have done? How often is squaring done? Do you square rows before joining?

Because I work, going to a quilting class isn't an option - they are during the day. So my teachers are folks like you who post tutorials online and answer questions on blogs. Bless you for both!

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:04 PM

I always square each block before joining the rows. It usually works best if you being the squaring up with smallest block. And use those measurements. Not sure if adding borders to a wavy top will end up like you want. Hope someone has the answer for you. Do not give up okay

Judy in Phx AZ
Old 09-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

Squaring the blocks up certainly helps. Starching fabric before cutting, starching as you sew and iron, and starching finished blocks all help to keep block edges from stretching and distorting from handling (and ironing).

I am wondering how you handled the rows that didn't quite line up. The first thing you need to do is pin the rows together using a pin at every block intersection. Often there will be some blocks that are bigger. These need to be "eased in" to match the smaller block. If, instead of easing the bigger block, you stretched the smaller block, this can make the finished row wavy. "Easing" is a sewing term you can Google for a better explanation than I can provide here.

Whenever handling quilting pieces, including blocks, you want to be careful not to stretch edges. Edges of pieces, edges of quilt blocks, the edge of an unfinished quilt top, border edges, etc. are all more vulnerable to unwanted stretching and distortion than the centers of fabric.

If you could post a photo, that would help. If the quilt top does not lie completely flat, this isn't necessary a disaster. Often some of this will go away when batting and backing are added. Also, depending on how it is quilted, quilting can help "quilt out" small errors. Hard to tell how much of a problem you have without a photo, though.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:39 PM

If you're satisfied with how it looks (except for the waviness), you could measure down the center of your top to get the measurement for your border. I usually measure through the center then measure a couple other places (not the edges) and figure the average measurement of the 3 measurements. Then when you attach the borders, have the wavy part down towards the feeddogs when sewing the borders on. You can kind of pull on the border so the feeddogs "work in" the extra fabric.

After doing the 2 side borders, do the same measuring and averaging the numbers and sewing with the waviness toward the feeddogs. This waviness thing happens to me a lot and by the time the quilt is quilted, it's fine. I have to admit I usually don't square blocks as I go along because I don't want to cut off any points on my blocks.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:42 PM

Your unevenness could be from lots of things (all of which we all did when first learning!),inaccurate cutting, seams that were not all 1/4", stretching of fabric when assembling or pressing, etc. Unwashed fabric pieces can also shrink inconsistently when steam pressed. As you get more experience you will get better at eliminating these issues.
As for squaring up, if your cutting and 1/4" seams are accurate you should not need to square up. But many quilters square up every block or even sections of a block as they go. I usually check to see if any trimming is needed on each block before sewing into rows or columns.
I agree with Prism99 that once the top is quilted, much of your waviness may not be an issue, especially after it is finished and washed----the natural crinkling that occurs from the shrinking of the cottons and the batting hides a lot of errors!!����
Old 09-03-2015, 06:48 PM

One other thing that has not been mentioned so far. If you have a block that is a tad bigger, it is easiest to ease if you put the larger block on the bottom. The feed dogs on your sewing machine will be a great help in easing in the fullness of the larger block.

You could also try laying your top on some plastic or some towels and dampening it with a spray bottle and then letting it dry before pressing again. That will sometimes allow fabrics which have become distorted from 'ironing' instead of 'pressing' to return closer to their original size.

I am not a great believer in starching or sizing. I want my fabrics to be as natural as possible. If they have a 'tendency' to stretch or shrink or whatever, I want to know about it before I cut my pieces, not after the quilt top is assembled. If you handle the fabric gently, it should not need any starch to keep its shape.

Last edited by GingerK; 09-03-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:51 PM

I square as I go. And when I assemble my top I sew the squares in 4 patches instead
of long rows. Then I sew the 4 patches in bigger 4 patches. Easier to keep everything
squared.
Have you checked your 1/4" seam allowance? Before I start a new project, I always test
my 1/4" seam. Different fabric and thread will make a difference. Here's how.
https://www.connectingthreads.com/tu...ance__D95.html

I also starch my fabric heavily before cutting. It helps stabilize the fabric
which makes it easier to cut and sew and there's no fraying. It's a must
for bias edges.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Power Poster

If you did not wash/ shrink your fabric before cutting it - it is possible that the pieces shrunk unevenly. Sometimes fabric shrinks in only one direction - and if you steam pressed it, that could cause shrinkage.

I also prefer to (usually) work with "naked" fabric - it has been washed, ironed, and no starch or sizing added to it because if it hard to handle then, I prefer not to fight with it.

But there are many on the board that don't wash, and do starch.
Or wash and starch.

Were the original pieces in the layer cake all the same size? Sometimes there are size variations there.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:49 AM

Thank you all for your replies. Here is a pic of the top:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529697[/ATTACH]
As you can see from the photo, some of the blocks are wavy. Do you think some of this will be less noticeable when it is quilted?

I did not wash this at all - it was a layer cake from Moda and I just joined the blocks. I didn't use sizing on them and I did try to be careful not to misshape them. I DID pull on the shorter of the two blocks when joining to make seams match and I did try to put the longer blocks on the bottom to take up some of that difference.

I wasn't really sure what I was doing with the "easing" and I do intend to Google that today and read up on it.

I think for my next layer cake project, I will check the blocks to be sure they are all the same size, since I know these were not. I will use sizing on them and press each one before starting my project. Then I will use the 1/4" foot that came with my machine and test to be sure it is 1/4". I am also getting a guide since I am notorious for getting "off the beaten path" when it comes to my stitching. I do stitch slowly since I know I have trouble with that.

I am debating on the pressing seams open or to the side. I have trouble pressing seams, I don't know why. I try to do it like I've seen on videos but my material looks like I've created a small lip by the seam and hence, I've just shorted my block. I did send for one of those strip sticks, hoping it will help. Any tricks you have for seams, I'm all ears!
Attached Thumbnails quilt-top.png  
Old 09-04-2015, 03:51 AM

You've gotten great advice above already. Without seeing the photo, or knowing how you handled the rows that did not match up correctly, that is probably where your greatest waviness comes from. As Prism99 mentioned - you might want to dis-assemble your rows and match up your intersections and re-sew those first before adding any borders. And as a couple of other folks mentioned - put the baggy piece on the bottom, next to your feed dogs to help with the 'easing in' of those larger pieces.

I am of the 'pre-wash; iron/press with starch/steam; square-as-I-go' camp. I find I get better end results this way. I also don't typically use pre-cuts. They are not 'pre-wash friendly'. Sometimes, from what I've heard, they are not cut exactly the same and could also be cut off-grain. But they can be a great place to start your quilting experiences particularly if you're not yet comfortable putting different fabrics together.

Show us a photo if you can and perhaps we can offer more help. But above all - enjoy the process. Quilting is supposed to be fun and relaxing. Your skills will improve over time and you'll find methods that work best for YOU.

ETA - apparently we were posting at the same time. Frankly, I think your top looks fine and those wavy blocks will quilt out nicely. Measure through the center of the quilt top to bottom to find the length of your side borders. Attach them, easing your blocks or stretching your borders as needed. Repeat for the top/bottom borders. Quilt; bind; wash - you'll never see those wavy spots. Good luck.

Last edited by NJ Quilter; 09-04-2015 at 03:55 AM.