View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 12:56 PM
slbram17

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
Just a quick question ...
I'm in the process of writing a modern quilting project for 4-Hers (9-21). One of the topics is where to get the fabric the members use. At the price of fabric it would be a pretty expensive project to run - asking families to buy fabric and cutters and rulers etc.
I had thought of asking quilters in the area to donate their "What was I Thinking" /over-stash fabric (as well as encouraging the kids to pickup cotton shirts etc at thrift stores).
I mentioned it to the quilters in my circle and got positive responses except for one lady. Her thought was "Why do they want our cast-off? If I don't want it why would they?"
I'm one of those there is no ugly fabric, you just haven't cut it small enough quilters. I work with lots of fabric that have been donated to me and it is surprising what appeals to someone else or how different settings change the appeal of "ugly".
Your thoughts?
Well, I have heard this sentiment expressed about donations to homeless shelters, etc. And maybe that is what the lady is reacting to. Instead of donating ""ugly" or "castoff", just ask for donations to help cut costs for the project. Let them decide what to donate (and what means to them, whether it be special purchases or from their own stash.) Just a thought. I still donate clothes to homeless shelters and hope they are used. If I was asked to donate fabric or supplies for a worthy project, I would take from my stash, picking those items that I have too much of.