Old 09-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
I know I am at risk of being pelted with empty thread spools for this , but here goes.....

I have the Brother SQ9000 from Wal Mart. I have had this machine for ages (at least 5 years). It is still going strong.
The price tag was $200.00 and came with a lot of extra feet. It's "big sister" the SQ 9050 is almost identical for about the same price. I bought my Janome 1153, it's a heavy duty home sewer for $60.00 off of Overstock.com about 9 years ago and it's also running like a champ still.

Check Wal Mart, Joann's Hancock's as well as Amazon and Overstock.com for a machine. Just because it comes from the LQS or a quilt show doesn't always mean it's better, just costs more.
I agree that the mechanical and lower end Brothers are good machines, based, not on hearsay, but on my own personal experience with three different ones. I'm sure there are plenty of fine machines out there. We have brand lovers of all different brands. I think buying a sewing machine is a very personal decision. I also have a number of nice vintage machines. But, in my neck of the woods, they are not easy to come by and some of them are not cheap and need work. It is nice to say "go get a vintage machine". If the buyer is up to the hunt and doesn't mind doing without a working machine while the hunt is on, that's great. Lots of us don't have the patience for that or the interest in fixing them up, even if it only means a little oil.

Bring on the empty thread spools for me too!!