Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!! Shopping for new sewing machine. What kind do you suggest.? >

Help!!! Shopping for new sewing machine. What kind do you suggest.?

Help!!! Shopping for new sewing machine. What kind do you suggest.?

Old 10-02-2015, 11:37 AM

Hi!! Did you end up with a machine yet? I don't have time to scroll through all the comments to see if youfollowed up with a decision so if you have, I apologize in advancefor giving you more advice.

As you probably know from my posts, Ijust ordered two new machines. My very first was a Brother Innovis80 that I bought in SC in 2009. It's been a great little machine andhas seen me through much. Right now it just needs a good trip to betuned up and then it will be good as new! Cost $600 then (probablyoverpaid but what did I know? I had never sewn a day in my life!). Over time I realized with quilting that I really wanted somethingbigger. I had learned about FMQ and knew I wanted the option to dothat. I went to my LQS (at this point I was back in New England) andfell in love with a Janome 8900. The price tag was just too much outof my budget so I decided with the Viking Sapphire 875. If you readany of my previous drama, you already know what I think of thatmachine. I do have a friend who has one (she lives in ME) and sheabsolutely LOVES her machine. I either got a lemon or there was arash of lemons produced from 2010-2013. I really suggest stayingaway from them and the other two brands made by the same company (SVPcompany) they are Pfaff and Singer.

In the end it depends on your budgetand what you want to be able to accomplish with your machines. Ifyou only will be doing piecing work and don't plan to do FMQ then youcan go with any simple machine. I really recommend the Juki. Thoseare my two that I just got and I honestly am amazed with the qualityof them. You could easily go with just one though. The F600 will doit all for you, fancy stitches, a zillion buttonholes (I mean, howmany buttons does one actually DO in one's lifetime?) FMQ (haven'tactually tried this feature yet....YET!LOL!!) and just generalsewing. The throat space is smaller though than most so if you wantto FMQ, that could be tough on a larger size quilt.

I also have the Juki 2010. I wouldlove to have a bigger Long Arm but I just can't afford one. Thisthing is amazing! Straight stitch only but man can it move! Andquiet!! It will FMQ like a dream.

What is amazing is that both of thesemachines together cost less than the Viking or the Janome. LikeWAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY less.

I hope I'm still singing the I LOVEJUKI song in a year from now, 5 years from now, 10 years from now. I've only had mine for a little over 24 hrs. LOL!! Still, theyseem great for the price-point and do everything I can imagine. Arethere better machines...well, maybe, yeah, but I can't afford them. Honestly, why spend it if you don't have to right?

If you budget is much less than $900, Isuggest looking into Brother machines. Like I said, my little one isstill a great machine. Just don't shop at a box store if you canhelp it. The machines sold there are notorious for being terrible inshorter periods of time. Then again, you might get lucky as somefolks have. I wish you the best! Please keep asking questions andyou MUST do what I did when you make your decision (if you haven'talready) and POST POST POST what you decided and a picture ifpossible! Enjoy and have fun! I'll try to come back and readhere to catch up and see what you decided.