Old 10-28-2015, 06:42 AM
elnan

Originally Posted by jeanne49 View Post
I have both. I like the idea of downloading patterns, especially free ones.
There are so many "free pattern" websites that you can print out right away, no download required and I have 4 large binders (and very heavy also) that I put my printed patterns in.
After awhile it seemed as if my patterns were starting to take over so I am trying to curb my addiction to them. I don't think I'll ever get around to making a quarter of the items with any of the patterns I have, but they're fun to look at.
What Jeanne49 said speaks partly for me. Getting 1/4 of them made would be a major accomplishment. If you google the names of the companies that put out the fabric lines, like Benartex, Blank Textiles, Moda, etc., look for free patterns under "projects". If you see something you really like, best to print it out now, because the most popular ones will eventually migrate from free to for sale at the individual designer's website. Cruising pinterest , then going to the blog or website the image came from will bring up a lot too. Craftsy has links to patterns by some of the people who have taken an online class from them, then designed their own pattern.

I'd rather print out patterns, whether free or bought online. Computers can lose all data you have so carefully saved. I started with a pkg. of 3 ring binders from Costco, then was buying the clear sleeves to separate the patterns, now have so many notebooks that I feel like hiding them from those who ask "Are you going to make all those?" All the free patterns remind me of the tours through wine country where samples are available.