Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Purchased patterns - where do you prefer to get them and how?

Purchased patterns - where do you prefer to get them and how?

As best I can tell, the main places to find patterns released by independents (i.e. not big companies) are:
    Etsy, Craftsy, the local quilt/sewing shop and maybe the pattern designer's website.

The local shops would carry the paper versions.
    Craftsy - I think is all electronic?
    Etsy is a blend of the two.
    And probably most websites would be both options available.

Do you prefer electronic or paper copies? If you get an electronic copy - do you usually print them out when you get them, or keep them on a device? Obviously if it's paper piecing or templates based you'd print part of it, what about the rest?

What is your preferred source for purchased patterns?

I don't purchase patterns very often as I have a pile of them I've never used. However, when I do purchase, I like to get them online so I can download them to my computer. I'll print a copy for use but like the idea that I have it on the computer, too.
    Pat

I use a variety of all of the above. Where I live, online is my most reliable source.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I prefer paper patterns. Always forget what I have downloaded . Often buy on ebay.

I have both. I like the idea of downloading patterns, especially free ones. When I was working full time and had to work on a Saturday, which I only had to do once a month, I would take advantage of the hours of free time and print out many of the patterns. There are so many "free pattern" websites that you can print out right away, no download required and I have 4 large binders (and very heavy also) that I put my printed patterns in. When I retired, I took the time to actually separate them out into categories. After awhile it seemed as if my patterns were starting to take over so I am trying to curb my addiction to them. I don't think I'll ever get around to making a quarter of the items with any of the patterns I have, but they're fun to look at.

I buy from wherever I find a pattern I like at the best price. I prefer paper patterns, but would buy an e-pattern if that is the only way I could get one I wanted.

I will buy an online pattern if it is less than the paper copy. Just a penny pincher.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by jeanne49 View Post
    I have both. I like the idea of downloading patterns, especially free ones.
    There are so many "free pattern" websites that you can print out right away, no download required and I have 4 large binders (and very heavy also) that I put my printed patterns in.
    After awhile it seemed as if my patterns were starting to take over so I am trying to curb my addiction to them. I don't think I'll ever get around to making a quarter of the items with any of the patterns I have, but they're fun to look at.
    What Jeanne49 said speaks partly for me. Getting 1/4 of them made would be a major accomplishment. If you google the names of the companies that put out the fabric lines, like Benartex, Blank Textiles, Moda, etc., look for free patterns under "projects". If you see something you really like, best to print it out now, because the most popular ones will eventually migrate from free to for sale at the individual designer's website. Cruising pinterest , then going to the blog or website the image came from will bring up a lot too. Craftsy has links to patterns by some of the people who have taken an online class from them, then designed their own pattern.

I'd rather print out patterns, whether free or bought online. Computers can lose all data you have so carefully saved. I started with a pkg. of 3 ring binders from Costco, then was buying the clear sleeves to separate the patterns, now have so many notebooks that I feel like hiding them from those who ask "Are you going to make all those?" All the free patterns remind me of the tours through wine country where samples are available.

Power Poster
    I very rarely purchase a pattern. I work them out myself on graph paper for pieced blocks. The last pattern I kind of bought was my crayon quilt that came as a freebie in a quilt magazine.

I have both paper and online patterns, but prefer paper ones. Easier for me.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

So, I think what I'm reading from most people is that you like paper copies primarily but having an electronic backup is nice, which makes downloading the original pattern acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by junegerbracht View Post
    I prefer paper patterns. Always forget what I have downloaded . Often buy on ebay.
    I think this is where I like places like Craftsy. If I've purchased or even downloaded a free pattern, see it again and want it (forgetting that I already have it), Craftsy does 2 things: 1. Says on the purchase page "Thanks for buying this pattern, download it here" - to remind me and 2. Lets me download it as many times as I want, in case I have had a computer issue or just forgotten where I put the first copy.

I don't usually think of eBay for patterns. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanne49 View Post
    I don't think I'll ever get around to making a quarter of the items with any of the patterns I have, but they're fun to look at.
    I often use patterns I've previously saved as inspiration for something else that I'll make. I figure, if I haven't built it as is, chances are I felt like there was something "missing" from the design. If it has good bones though, there's no reason not to use the idea you like and expand on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I will buy an online pattern if it is less than the paper copy. Just a penny pincher.
    So, the e-pattern should be less (which makes sense - no shipping or printing/bagging costs) - or the paper pattern should have some other benefit if it's going to be the same price?

ETA: Do you ever find that printing anything that needs to be "to scale" is an issue? Most patterns seem to have the instructions these days (in Reader, print "actual size" not "fit to page", etc),....

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I very rarely purchase a pattern. I work them out myself on graph paper for pieced blocks. The last pattern I kind of bought was my crayon quilt that came as a freebie in a quilt magazine.
    I do that in a lot of cases too, sometimes though - especially with a 3 dimensional quilted project - I find it's worth saving myself a couple of hours figuring out the pattern and spend the $10.

I print off a lot of patterns myself. I download & the always forgot about them but I'm getting better with that. I check my downloads more now. I too have more patterns than I'll ever use but I love patterns so I'm sure I'll keep collecting the ones I think I'll make someday. lol

Blog Entries
    I prefer the e patterns(free and purchased) .As soon as I receive the link, I save it in my downloads and then copy them to a c .d. and a flash drive. I can print them out anytime I choose from there.

I try not to go crazy with buying but, I prefer hard copy......guild has a yearly garage sale and I can resell those I have/or not used.........and someone else can try it....I have bought a few that way too........

Blog Entries
    I am a collector....I don't do much except collect patterns, books and fabric...lol I purchase some patterns on line, get some at thrift stores and some stuff I do by looking at a picture. It's amazing what you can find at thrift stores. One of our local TS's had a bunch of quilting books tucked away in a bookcase. I asked how much they were and the fellow said..."same as magazines....25 cents". They now reside in my bookcase. Most of the books were originally $22-25 dollars each.
    Start the Process
    Don't fail because you
    are afraid to
    Start the Process

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I also check to see if there's a video. Such as I bought the pattern for the "Bionic Bag". There's about 6-8 videos. I still havn't made it yet though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
    I don't purchase patterns very often as I have a pile of them I've never used. However, when I do purchase, I like to get them online so I can download them to my computer. I'll print a copy for use but like the idea that I have it on the computer, too.

I have patterns from many places. When I see one I like I buy it. I have ordered from catalogs, magazines and on line. I get a lot free from on line and take out many from the quilting magazines I take. I love to to come up with my own ideas. I have many left to me from my DM and DGM.

Blog Entries
    too many patterns and soooo little time
    Mary

Are you talking quilts or clothing?
    I may have missed it but I look in the library too. Plenty of quilting and sewing books with patterns in them. If it's clothing the newer books are still in style.
    Quilt patterns never go out of style. They just become vintage.
    I also look for older quilting books in thrift stores and go through the patterns there. Every now and again you can find a few vintage gems.
    They're also one more thing I keep my eyes open for at estate sales.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

I was purposely unspecific in this case. The pattern that made me ask is a quilted project. Never before released into the wild, which means it wouldn't be in the library or sewing books, etc.

I do the same. I hit the thrift shops specifically for machines and quilting books. For a while there, we were hitting thrift shops any time we were out while I was trying to collect the whole Singer Sewing Reference Library. DH finally bought me the last few used off Amazon because he figured that was cheaper than the fuel we were spending.