Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Purchased patterns - where do you prefer to get them and how? >

Purchased patterns - where do you prefer to get them and how?

Purchased patterns - where do you prefer to get them and how?

Old 10-28-2015, 10:21 AM

So, I think what I'm reading from most people is that you like paper copies primarily but having an electronic backup is nice, which makes downloading the original pattern acceptable.

Originally Posted by junegerbracht View Post
I prefer paper patterns. Always forget what I have downloaded . Often buy on ebay.
I think this is where I like places like Craftsy. If I've purchased or even downloaded a free pattern, see it again and want it (forgetting that I already have it), Craftsy does 2 things: 1. Says on the purchase page "Thanks for buying this pattern, download it here" - to remind me and 2. Lets me download it as many times as I want, in case I have had a computer issue or just forgotten where I put the first copy.

I don't usually think of eBay for patterns. Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by jeanne49 View Post
I don't think I'll ever get around to making a quarter of the items with any of the patterns I have, but they're fun to look at.
I often use patterns I've previously saved as inspiration for something else that I'll make. I figure, if I haven't built it as is, chances are I felt like there was something "missing" from the design. If it has good bones though, there's no reason not to use the idea you like and expand on it.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I will buy an online pattern if it is less than the paper copy. Just a penny pincher.
So, the e-pattern should be less (which makes sense - no shipping or printing/bagging costs) - or the paper pattern should have some other benefit if it's going to be the same price?

ETA: Do you ever find that printing anything that needs to be "to scale" is an issue? Most patterns seem to have the instructions these days (in Reader, print "actual size" not "fit to page", etc),....

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I very rarely purchase a pattern. I work them out myself on graph paper for pieced blocks. The last pattern I kind of bought was my crayon quilt that came as a freebie in a quilt magazine.
I do that in a lot of cases too, sometimes though - especially with a 3 dimensional quilted project - I find it's worth saving myself a couple of hours figuring out the pattern and spend the $10.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:27 AM

I print off a lot of patterns myself. I download & the always forgot about them but I'm getting better with that. I check my downloads more now. I too have more patterns than I'll ever use but I love patterns so I'm sure I'll keep collecting the ones I think I'll make someday. lol
Old 10-29-2015, 05:11 AM

I prefer the e patterns(free and purchased) .As soon as I receive the link, I save it in my downloads and then copy them to a c .d. and a flash drive. I can print them out anytime I choose from there.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:46 AM

I try not to go crazy with buying but, I prefer hard copy......guild has a yearly garage sale and I can resell those I have/or not used.........and someone else can try it....I have bought a few that way too........
Old 10-29-2015, 06:24 AM

I am a collector....I don't do much except collect patterns, books and fabric...lol I purchase some patterns on line, get some at thrift stores and some stuff I do by looking at a picture. It's amazing what you can find at thrift stores. One of our local TS's had a bunch of quilting books tucked away in a bookcase. I asked how much they were and the fellow said..."same as magazines....25 cents". They now reside in my bookcase. Most of the books were originally $22-25 dollars each.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I also check to see if there's a video. Such as I bought the pattern for the "Bionic Bag". There's about 6-8 videos. I still havn't made it yet though.
Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
I don't purchase patterns very often as I have a pile of them I've never used. However, when I do purchase, I like to get them online so I can download them to my computer. I'll print a copy for use but like the idea that I have it on the computer, too.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:43 AM

I have patterns from many places. When I see one I like I buy it. I have ordered from catalogs, magazines and on line. I get a lot free from on line and take out many from the quilting magazines I take. I love to to come up with my own ideas. I have many left to me from my DM and DGM.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:17 AM

too many patterns and soooo little time
Old 12-31-2015, 12:49 PM

Are you talking quilts or clothing?
I may have missed it but I look in the library too. Plenty of quilting and sewing books with patterns in them. If it's clothing the newer books are still in style.
Quilt patterns never go out of style. They just become vintage.
I also look for older quilting books in thrift stores and go through the patterns there. Every now and again you can find a few vintage gems.
They're also one more thing I keep my eyes open for at estate sales.
Rodney
Old 12-31-2015, 01:47 PM

I was purposely unspecific in this case. The pattern that made me ask is a quilted project. Never before released into the wild, which means it wouldn't be in the library or sewing books, etc.

I do the same. I hit the thrift shops specifically for machines and quilting books. For a while there, we were hitting thrift shops any time we were out while I was trying to collect the whole Singer Sewing Reference Library. DH finally bought me the last few used off Amazon because he figured that was cheaper than the fuel we were spending.