View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Mickey2

Remember the the needle goes in with the flat side to the left, when it threads from right to left. I tried to look it up but couldn't find anthing. After a few days I would do a second round of cleaning and oiling. Make sure you have removed face plate, needle plate, bobbin plate; cleaned and oiled everwhere. Don't forget the points under the base; every moving part where metal touches metal needs oil, bobbin winder included. If the motorbelt has turned crumbly or hard it probably needs replacing, it makes a big difference when it comes to noise. The motor might need tending too; cleaning and regreasing, but often it turns fine. The Jones machines I have seen have been fast and strong enough to sew through most materials, no need for start help with the motor. There is a test with these old cast irion straight stitchers; take off the motor belt, spin the hand wheel as fast as you can and it shall run for a few seconds. With the old Singers they said not to stop oiling until it runs freely for 10 seconds, I'm not sure how smooth your Jones is, but it's probably about the same as a model 15.