Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 15-90 'alike' (I think) problems! >

Singer 15-90 'alike' (I think) problems!

Singer 15-90 'alike' (I think) problems!

Old 10-29-2015, 11:58 AM

Default Singer 15-90 'alike' (I think) problems!

I have not been in this part of the board so far - I have been enjoying finding my way about in the main part of the forum, where the amount of help is wonderful: I was very much hoping I could be pointed in the right direction by someone in the vintage machine section...

I have recently been very kindly gifted a Jones 101B, which, after doing a little digging, looks like it is probably a Singer 15-90 copy (which is great news as far as getting new feet goes!). I have been trying to get it running (I was told it worked fine about 6-7 years ago when it happily sorted out new curtains and soft furnishings, but has been tucked away in an attic ever since), but having problems:

• When starting sewing, it needs the balance wheel turning by hand to get going, as if the motor is not powerful enough to start things off
  • I tried to change needles, and now when I try to tighten the needle screw, the needle is pushed too far to the left, and gently hits the foot (if I insert it the wrong way around according to the manual, it is pushed to the right, and seems to be in the correct position, foot wise).

I have tried to find some pointers on the internet, but not been very successful - does anyone know where I might try looking for help (or even better, have some ideas I might try)?

Thank you!!!
Old 10-29-2015, 01:51 PM

Pictures might help verify what we're working with.
It sounds to me like your machine needs a good cleaning and oiling. After sitting that long the oil in it has probably dried out and become stiff. Oil it and turn by hand a few times over the next couple days and it should loosen up.
Some machines are designed to thread right to left. It's possible your machine is that way.

Others here are far more knowledgeable than me. Help should be coming shortly.
Rodney
Old 10-29-2015, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GarageDragon View Post

• When starting sewing, it needs the balance wheel turning by hand to get going, as if the motor is not powerful enough to start things off
I have tried to find some pointers on the internet, but not been very successful - does anyone know where I might try looking for help (or even better, have some ideas I might try)?

Thank you!!!
This is common and has an easy answer. Before you first start to sew, make sure the take up lever has just passed the top of its travel. Holding on to your thread tails, now start to sew. Your machine should take off on its own without having to help it if you start this way.

Cari
Old 10-30-2015, 06:33 AM

Cari, I just tried your suggestion, and it worked! Many thanks!!!

Rodney, I have cleaned it as much as I can, and oiled, I am hoping that it will 'loosen up' a little with use, but we are off to a good start (I am pleasantly surprised by the stitch quality too ) (It is one of the right to left threaders, and happily has a big sticker to remind me!)

Thank you both very much for your input!
Old 10-30-2015, 09:20 AM

Remember the the needle goes in with the flat side to the left, when it threads from right to left. I tried to look it up but couldn't find anthing. After a few days I would do a second round of cleaning and oiling. Make sure you have removed face plate, needle plate, bobbin plate; cleaned and oiled everwhere. Don't forget the points under the base; every moving part where metal touches metal needs oil, bobbin winder included. If the motorbelt has turned crumbly or hard it probably needs replacing, it makes a big difference when it comes to noise. The motor might need tending too; cleaning and regreasing, but often it turns fine. The Jones machines I have seen have been fast and strong enough to sew through most materials, no need for start help with the motor. There is a test with these old cast irion straight stitchers; take off the motor belt, spin the hand wheel as fast as you can and it shall run for a few seconds. With the old Singers they said not to stop oiling until it runs freely for 10 seconds, I'm not sure how smooth your Jones is, but it's probably about the same as a model 15.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:53 PM

In addition to Rodney's suggestion - if the belt is too tight, it will also put too much drag on the motor - which will cause it to start and work harder. I can start with the take up lever in any position on all of my well running machines. The belt should be only tight enough that it doesn't slip. Anything else creates more load and heat on the motor.

To figure out if you have the right direction on the needle, the side with the scarf - also the flat side of the needle shank - will be on the same side as the tip of the hook. If the needle is too far to one side or the other with it oriented correctly- you may have something bent or misaligned.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I can start with the take up lever in any position on all of my well running machines.
I can too on several of my machines Tammi. I learned to sew in the 60s when this was one of the first basic things taught. I've always done it, it's a habit to do it as well as ending with the take up lever up so the last stitch is completed. I do it even with newer machines I don't have to.

Cari
Old 11-01-2015, 01:30 PM

It's also good habit to start with the Take Up Lever all the way up anyway. As you mention Cari, the stitch is finished - so the fabric is easier to remove from under the foot and it also stops the machine from un-threading the needle when you start your next seam if your tail is a little short. My 6122 does that to me all the time. For some reason, I cut the tails shorter on that machine than any other and I probably thread it 20 times in a piecing session. Clearly I'm a slow learner.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:05 AM

Managed to unknowingly delete a whole post, whoops!

Trying again: Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I have cleaned as far as I can, and oiled everything (possibly have gone a little overboard here, as I now have oil puddling on the inside of the base, and spitting out of the oiling holes when I sew...) I have kept hand turning the wheel, but it is still sticking when the needle ascends. If I try to put peddle to the metal, the machine tries valiantly, but in about 20 seconds the motor seems to slow. As a novice with vintage machines, do you think it might be time to pay someone to have a look, or is there anything else I can try? (The previous owner has admitted that she never oiled it: she was given it about ten years ago, and only used it a couple of times - albeit it one of those times was soft furnishings for a bedroom. It has been stored for several years since then - we have no idea how it was looked after previous to my friend owing it, although it looks barely used on the outside).

Thank you all again for your helpful suggestions - I don't want to give up on this machine, it does seem to sew a lovely stitch (yes, I forgot the needle was nudging the foot - it is correctly placed according the manual, with the flat side away from the balance wheel, and taking the needle clamp apart, there does not seem to be anything that could go wrong there, it's fairly basic and heavy duty - but it didn't seem to cause any problems, I may have been very lucky!), and I really wanted to introduce my children to the joys of sewing, but I am stumped!
Old 11-02-2015, 11:44 AM

If the needle is touching the foot but isn't a problem traveling through the needle plate, there's a good chance the presser bar is turned a little - putting the foot in the way of the needle. Best way to check / address this might be to download a free Singer 15 adjuster's manual and use it to set the presser bar.