Old 10-31-2015, 07:04 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Default How do you stabilize your background fabric for machine applique?

My method has been to heavily starch the background fabric with Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch, toss in dryer, then iron with steam. I don't know if the fabric has changed over time or if the starch has changed over time (or both), but I know that *I* have changed over time as has my trusty Rowenta iron. The iron no longer steams, whereas I steam much more easily than of old. I am finding the ironing of the background fabric before cutting to be tedious and time-consuming. (Maybe it would be different if I had a vacuum ironing board and a professional iron with elevated water container, but that is not in my near future.)

Anyway, I am looking for a faster, easier method to stabilize background fabric for machine applique. This is so that I have a fighting chance of finishing at least some of the UFO's on my bucket list before I, um..., kick the bucket.

I'd really like to use a water-soluble stabilizer on the back. I'm going to experiment with a light misting of basting spray to adhere Vilene to the back. However, I know from bitter experience that Vilene cannot take the heat of an iron (it shrivels up as if attacked). Is there any water-soluble stabilizer that can take heat?

Maybe I will experiment with the featherweight interfacing I bought to stabilize silk ties (not that I have tackled *that* project yet!).

How do other people stabilize fabric for machine applique? (In my case, specifically freezer paper applique as that is the only method I use.)