Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you stabilize your background fabric for machine applique? >

How do you stabilize your background fabric for machine applique?

How do you stabilize your background fabric for machine applique?

Old 10-31-2015, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

Default How do you stabilize your background fabric for machine applique?

My method has been to heavily starch the background fabric with Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch, toss in dryer, then iron with steam. I don't know if the fabric has changed over time or if the starch has changed over time (or both), but I know that *I* have changed over time as has my trusty Rowenta iron. The iron no longer steams, whereas I steam much more easily than of old. I am finding the ironing of the background fabric before cutting to be tedious and time-consuming. (Maybe it would be different if I had a vacuum ironing board and a professional iron with elevated water container, but that is not in my near future.)

Anyway, I am looking for a faster, easier method to stabilize background fabric for machine applique. This is so that I have a fighting chance of finishing at least some of the UFO's on my bucket list before I, um..., kick the bucket.

I'd really like to use a water-soluble stabilizer on the back. I'm going to experiment with a light misting of basting spray to adhere Vilene to the back. However, I know from bitter experience that Vilene cannot take the heat of an iron (it shrivels up as if attacked). Is there any water-soluble stabilizer that can take heat?

Maybe I will experiment with the featherweight interfacing I bought to stabilize silk ties (not that I have tackled *that* project yet!).

How do other people stabilize fabric for machine applique? (In my case, specifically freezer paper applique as that is the only method I use.)
Old 10-31-2015, 08:22 PM

I use a fusible. My favorite is Soft Fuse..
Old 11-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

I am so sorry that your Rowenta won't steam anymore. Fusible will run you a pretty penny. Good Luck in finishing something that will work for you. I am still steaming and starching with my Rowenta.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:33 AM

I don't use a stabilizer and have not had a problem with any machine appliqué quilts. The only time I do anything different is when I am appliquéing onto gingham for baby quilts. Then I place a piece of newsprint underneath the fabric where I'm going to appliqué and go for it. The newsprint does not allow the gingham to bunch up as I sew. Gingham is very flimsy fabric. The newsprint tears off easily after appliquéing using a blanket stitch.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I'm going to try this idea I had. Use Elmer's school glue to coat the background square. Then coat the applique piece an put in place on top of the background. Let dry. Wash the quilt when done. It will either work or it won't.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

I think I am going to break down and get another steam iron so I can continue using my starch method for background fabrics. Ironing without steam just doesn't work well with the starched fabric, even when I dampen the fabric first.

Will experiment a bit with the featherweight interfacing, though. Might save me some time on the next project.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I do a lot of machine applique and never had to stabilize the fabric. Of course, I try to use a good fabric background when I can. If it's to flimsy, i'll starch first.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:46 PM

I use Sta-flo as a spray starch (and depending on how stiff I want the fabric I may cut it up to 50-50 with water). That way I don't need to steam.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

The lady who taught me machine applique said to just put some freezer paper under it and then gently tear it away when finished. I have never had a problem with this method. I do not need to iron it down or anything else. Give this a try and see what you think.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:59 PM

I used spray starch first, just because I always do on any quilt. I have used both a water soluble and a tear away. I am not overly fond of the tear away because it is a hassle to pull everything away. What I can't figure out is why you would need to use your iron after the first starching. Is it for the rest of the construction? I rinse the WSS out before I cut the block to final size so I didn't have that problem. I have also used a complete backing of polymesh when I was appliquéing on a very soft muslin. I couldn't tell it was in the fabric after I quilted the piece.

Note that my appliqué has only been on children's quilts, not very ornate high end quilts.

Pam