Old 11-07-2015, 07:33 AM
EmiliasNana

Default Do any of you make swatches of your FMQing designs?

I just saw something recently on Pinterest (don't ask me where as I don't know how to navigate too well on there) that sparked my interest. This particular long armer makes sample 10" swatches of background fillers, puts a grommet in the corner and connects them with a metal ring, like a sampler of home decor fabrics. Since I am just starting a new panel for charity and use that to "practice" my FMQing designs, I decided to start collecting swatches. I realize those of you that do it for a business will probably have them for customers to browse, but I want to use it for me: so I have a visual of what the pattern looks like on fabric, with a certain thread and my skill level, or lack there of LOL. I practice on a scrap until I think I am ready to do it on the quilt, but first make the swatch, THEN do the quilt. I cut a 10" square, but realized that was rather difficult to hold onto, so made an 8" square in the middle to quilt in, and wrote the thread info and pattern in the margin. Here are the three I have so far:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535131[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535132[/ATTACH]
I notice I wrote Supreme, instead of Superior, on this one : ( Oh well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535133[/ATTACH]
I wanted to try and perfect this one for another quilt so wanted to practice on the charity panel first. I have such a difficult time getting my brain to alternate the direction of the curls on this and the open swirls. I just keep repeating to myself: start up, start down, start up, start down. Anyone have any good hints?

Don't know if these samples will be a help to anyone else as they quilt, but I think it will help me when I go to make decisions about what design to put where on future quilts. Also border designs could be put in rows together on one swatch. Further ideas or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails paisley-swatch.jpg   simple-meander-swatch.jpg   alternating-closed-swirl.jpg