Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Do any of you make swatches of your FMQing designs? >

Do any of you make swatches of your FMQing designs?

Do any of you make swatches of your FMQing designs?

Old 11-07-2015, 07:33 AM

Default Do any of you make swatches of your FMQing designs?

I just saw something recently on Pinterest (don't ask me where as I don't know how to navigate too well on there) that sparked my interest. This particular long armer makes sample 10" swatches of background fillers, puts a grommet in the corner and connects them with a metal ring, like a sampler of home decor fabrics. Since I am just starting a new panel for charity and use that to "practice" my FMQing designs, I decided to start collecting swatches. I realize those of you that do it for a business will probably have them for customers to browse, but I want to use it for me: so I have a visual of what the pattern looks like on fabric, with a certain thread and my skill level, or lack there of LOL. I practice on a scrap until I think I am ready to do it on the quilt, but first make the swatch, THEN do the quilt. I cut a 10" square, but realized that was rather difficult to hold onto, so made an 8" square in the middle to quilt in, and wrote the thread info and pattern in the margin. Here are the three I have so far:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535131[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535132[/ATTACH]
I notice I wrote Supreme, instead of Superior, on this one : ( Oh well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535133[/ATTACH]
I wanted to try and perfect this one for another quilt so wanted to practice on the charity panel first. I have such a difficult time getting my brain to alternate the direction of the curls on this and the open swirls. I just keep repeating to myself: start up, start down, start up, start down. Anyone have any good hints?

Don't know if these samples will be a help to anyone else as they quilt, but I think it will help me when I go to make decisions about what design to put where on future quilts. Also border designs could be put in rows together on one swatch. Further ideas or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails paisley-swatch.jpg   simple-meander-swatch.jpg   alternating-closed-swirl.jpg  
Old 11-07-2015, 08:05 AM

I love the 3rd one... I have an all white quilt to hand quilt & may try it. Beautiful work
Old 11-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I saw a video quite a while back. The quilter practiced her fmq on swatches. She saved them in a 3" binder with information attached similar to your photos. She had type of thread she used and name of pattern and whether she had a purchased template or made her own. She also stated what type marking tool used, type of fabric, muslin, cotton, prewashed or not. If it was a patterned fabric, she stated who the company was. Great reference book.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

your quilting is great
Old 11-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Do you run a narrow strip of fabric on your long arm? I am not sure how I would make them unless I do a sample quilt with squares. It would be nice to make a sample every time I do a quilt but it would be a lot of fabric and work do get on little square. I do take pictures of quilts to show different work.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Do you run a narrow strip of fabric on your long arm? I am not sure how I would make them unless I do a sample quilt with squares. It would be nice to make a sample every time I do a quilt but it would be a lot of fabric and work do get on little square. I do take pictures of quilts to show different work.
Sorry Anna, I have a mid-arm sit-down Tiara so am able to do small swatches, as would anyone with a DSM, which I used until January of this year. It would be up to you if the swatches would be handy enough for you to make a muslin quilt with blocks of different patterns. I'm just throwing my idea out there in case it would help others like me who have trouble visualizing a pattern on paper and remembering if they were able to do it successfully enough to put on their quilt.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

​Great swatches!
Old 11-07-2015, 09:13 AM

I really like this idea. A few years back I participated in one of those weekly blog hops on machine quilting but I made my samples huge and they take a lot of room. It is nice to have something to check back on.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

I think that is a great idea especially noting what type of thread you used.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Very nice... love your idea