View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 09:13 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I would hazard to guess that the authority on making bed size silk quilts would be Christine Wickert. She won Best of Show at Lancaster in 2013 for her phenomenal "Sampling the silk road". She has also won with "My Version of a Persian". Christine seems to work with only silk but all her work is hand applique and hand quilting.

Bethanne Nemesh's quilts, some are made of Dupioni silk and some with Radiance, are machine done but are wall hangings done more in a wholecloth style. While they have some piecing, the focus is definitely her amazing longarm pictorial quilting. Her award winning quilts are "The Shell Collector" (dupioni), "Poppy Promenade" (Radiance silk blend), "October Sky" (Dupioni) and her latest is "The Paisley Peacock" (not sure I think also Radiance) and can be viewed here:
http://www.whitearborquilting.com/showquilts.htm

One side note, she had to remake "The shell collector" it ran horribly when she blocked the quilt (the final step after completion) and everything she tried to fix the bleed ended up ruining the silk. So that is something to keep in mind when working with silk, the possibility of a dye running. Especially if you are working with dark rich colors. Additionally, keeping in mind the bargain price you got these for I would make sure I test them for bleeding.

I am not affiliated with either of these amazing ladies, just a huge fan of their work. Christine did a video interview with The Quilt Show and spoke extensively about working with silk. If you google her you may find it and pick up some pointers on working with silk.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-10-2015 at 09:16 AM.