Old 11-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Bree123

Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom View Post
Thank you to all who responded. Wow! so much to learn and research. C&C was the only thread readily available so that why I used it. After reading all your comments, and they are very helpful, I think I'm going to try a thread set from CT and then a Try Me Special of a couple of different threads from Superior, Aurfill is also high recommended here so I'm going to order a spool of that too. This is exciting. Different machines like and don't like certain threads, so when I find a thread that works well in my machine and don't have any troubles with it I'll stock up. Thank you all again for your wonderful wisdom and advice!

Wanted to point out that usually thread manufacturers will recommend a particular size needle for their threads. For Aurifil 50/2, the company recommends using an 80/12 Microtex needle for piecing & an 80/12 either Microtex or quilting needle for quilting. I've also had success with a 70/10 Microtex for piecing with the 50wt Aurifil. I just love how teeny the holes are when I use that & I personally haven't had any issue with thread snapping with that size needle.

I don't remember which, but I know some 50wt threads recommend using a 90/14 needle. You might try getting a multi-pack with the different sizes and see which one(s) work best which which threads. The needle size can definitely make a difference in both your stitching & your sewing experience.