Old 11-11-2015, 08:04 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I totally agree. I did the math vs. Gutermann as well & it worked out to be almost identical -- especially when I compared the smaller spools (100 yards Gutermann vs. 200m Aurifil) that I use for applique. But $10 for 5000 yards for the Connecting Threads spools is well below the price of Aurifil. Still, I have no intention of switching away. I get beautiful results with Aurifil ... it makes me look like a better quilter than I actually am every single time. I only wish I could go back & sew my very first quilts with Aurifil. All those frustrating experiences using cheapy threads & fabrics from big box stores. I almost gave up quilting a few times. I'm not a fancy person by any means, but I do love my collection of Aurifil threads.
I was lucky in that I found Aurifil early on. The join date in my profile pre-dates my quilting so that lets you know how new I am. I remember the first time I bought a spool of Aurifil, I cringed at the cost and thought, I hope it's as good as people say!

Then, as I was driving home, I started doing the math in my head - driving in Edmonton is REALLY dull... - and realized that that spool of Aurifil had cost me less than the same number of meters of Mettler - which I buy at cost. I almost turned around right then but resolved to try the thread first. Tried it, went back the next month when it was on sale again and stocked up.

When I did the price comparison Gutermann and Mettler came in as some of the most expensive threads - in fact, if I eliminated Superior's threads - they were the most expensive. Considering the lint I get from both of those brands, what Gutermann poly did to my Lucey (actually cut her guides!) and how my seams look with them compared to Aurifil, I wasn't willing to pay the premium.

There's an added bonus too when you buy the 1300M spools of Aurifil - less plastic waste. I find one of those spools fits the same spot a 250m Gutermann spool does and I get more than 5 times the thread to each plastic spool that I will just have to recycle.