View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 05:26 AM
OurWorkbench

I haven't posted anything here for a while, but development continues. I took a picture of all the baseboards that we have so far. It was for another purpose initially, but I thought I'd post it here too. It helps to show the versatility of the workstand to date.

(Set of Five Boards)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535510[/ATTACH]

S-1 This universal board accommodates more machine heads than any other. Singers, Brothers, and many other brands conforming to the same mounting measurements may all be mounted with it.

S-3 The three-quarter size baseboard fits the Singer three-quarter standard machines. A few other manufacturers used this three-quarter size, as well.

W-1 This baseboard fits White Rotary and some similar size and contour machine heads. Not common, but we happen to have three White Rotary machines.

VS-2 We recently acquired a Singer VS-2 and this board accommodates it. SteveH would know more about compatibility between early machine cutouts. If you happen to read this, I'd like to know. My intuitive guess would be that the cutouts were fairly unique from machine to machine way back then.

FW-221 With the bottom cover removed, a Featherweight may be mounted in the workstand, allowing easy access to all areas.

I know very little about it, but I find it interesting that so many brands elected to follow compatible standards for mounting (S-1 baseboard) while others, such as White and Kenmore did not. I'm curious about the thinking regarding inter-compatibility versus proprietary interest.

Anyway, I still need to make a baseboard for Kenmores, which have slightly different measurements and sharper corners. As I recall, the Kenmores are some of the heaviest machines that we have. I'll post pictures when I get it done.

John
Attached Thumbnails set-five.jpg