View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 AM
ButtercreamCakeArtist

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
I learned on a Sears Kenmore that my mom bought in 1955. We never had any problems with that. I bought a Singer in 1971 and used it until 2004. It was really heavy, the only thing plastic was the base it sat in and the case that latched on. Everything else was metal. It had a straight and zigzag stitch. The only reason I replaced it was because I couldn't wind bobbins on it any more. I loved it, but I've been told that the new Singers just don't hold up -- too much plastic, I guess. I got a Bernina Bernette, which I have since given to my son, and that was a nice little machine. Very portable, with a few decorative stitches, for a reasonable price. I now have a Bernina 440QE, which I love.

For straight sewing, I've been told that the Singer Featherweights are the best, and they are great travel machines, since they only weigh 11 lbs.

FYI, I was told by a salesperson in JoAnn's that the Whites are made by Husqvarna.
Things just aren't made the way they use to be...I guess they can't make them to last forever or they'd all go bankrupt instead of the purchasers...