Old 11-14-2015, 07:32 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by SewMachines View Post
I would be glad to help if I can, although SteveH is probably much better for the measurements.

My Weed dates to 1868 from what I can tell. The shuttle moves front to back very much like the Howe machines and is an open boat style shuttle. I have found that the Boye 18 needles work nicely and it isn't too complicated for threading. I have a copy of a later manual that was shared with me by another collector.
<snipped>

OOOPS guess I didn't read the whole thread before getting ready to post the following:

Gorgeous machine. I'm going to guess that it wasn't in that condition when you got it. Did you repaint the irons? I think I heard something about stove black for irons, but don't remember where or pictures after using on irons. Did you remove the shiny bits to clean & polish?

Does the presser foot have a hole in front of the where the needle travels? What I thought was crud turns out there is a metal under a layer of crud and has a hole in front of needle hole.

Mine has a little different wheel guard and has a roller type thing at the top. I'll get a picture of it later.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-14-2015 at 07:36 AM.