Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Probably new Work Stand template needed and info Please >

Probably new Work Stand template needed and info Please

Probably new Work Stand template needed and info Please

Old 03-03-2016, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Nice work, it looks much better. I think the scars give it character.

Cari
Originally Posted by Gray fox View Post
Great improvement, and a much better idea than totally refinishing. It wouldn't be logical to have the cabinet look brand new.

Dianne in Colorado
Thanks Cari & Dianne in Colorado I agree. I think it is a whole lot easier to do, but really wouldn't know as this is the first time I've really done any wood work.

Here is a picture of the varnish rings that I scraped. I had wanted to wipe it down with Glenn's Solution #1 yesterday before I went to work, but weather wasn't cooperating.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]543894[/ATTACH]

I'm wondering if I took really fine sandpaper or those foam fingernail files with various grits would get some more of the shiny rings off.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails razor_b4-n-b4.jpg  
Old 03-06-2016, 06:53 PM

Exclamation Tickled pink !!!!

Excuse me while I ramble a bit... I really am excited. I knew this day would come, I am extremely happy. I was able to get some additional bobbins which were hand crafted by fellow QB'r - Jon. I had gotten some needles from him, also. I sent him the dimensions and he made me some. I thought I would try to wind one of the new ones he made me, rather then the single one that I had gotten with the machine. There is a learning curve with winding the bobbin. I didn't get it very even and not completely full. At one point, I couldn't get the bobbin winder to turn and realized that the thread had wound up below the spool. How it did that, I don't have a clue. After undoing that thread I was able to continue winding some more on the bobbin. I had cut a few layers of felt for under the bobbin winder to raise it a bit. The tire that was on it - is still on it. The tire is extremely dry and loose. I had put some small rubber bands under it and filed some of the tire to try to rough it up to make contact with the hand wheel. It would spin a bit, but still not catch the way it is supposed to. I cut some fingers off some latex or nitrile gloves and wrapped around the tire. They were starting to come off so I quit winding the bobbin and tried to put it in the shuttle. That took some time. Fortunately, I had instructions but getting it threaded in and out, over and through took some time.

Instructions for threading the shuttle
"Now pass the thread from under side of bobbin out of the lower slot and in through the upper slot in the shuttle; thence out through the hole in spring on opposite side of shuttle; thence, from the inside through the long curved slot, slipping the thread between the last-named places under the pointed end of the flat spring, whereby the tension is obtained; then draw it tight, stitch will bring it to place between the spring and the side of the shuttle."

Pictures of shuttle before cleaning but they show the slots-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544189[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544191[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544192[/ATTACH]

I had to loosen the tension a bit to get the thread under the spring.

I actually used one of those floss threaders (like for threading sergers) to get it through the slots. I also used the floss threader to thread the upper thread until the needle. I was even able to thread it through the hole in the bar. I wish they still made floss threaders like that and sold them in the $ store. To set the needle I used a "Nifty Notions" needle inserter. I put it in as far as it would go. I have never set a round shank needle and was nervous about getting it straight. The long groove goes on the left. After I had gotten it in and needle clamp tightened, I realized it was a little off. I inserted a wire needle threader into the eye as far as it would go and loosened the needle clamp screw. I turned it so that the long groove was in what I thought was the correct position and tightened the screw. I turned the hand wheel so that the needle was in the lowest position and it looked like "the eye even with the bottom of shuttle-race when the needle-bar is at its lowest point."

I had gotten a piece of black felt to test the stitches. I used size 50 Coats & Clark thread with a size 5 notched top Domestic needle. and TA DA --

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544200[/ATTACH]

I still could use some tension adjustments, but will probably need to tweak it when I finally actually make something. The first stitches are in the lower right of the above picture.

The bobbin side with the very first stitches in the upper right in this picture.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544201[/ATTACH]

Oh yes, I used airline tubing for the treadle belt for now. I thought I had the stitch length in the mid range. It is really a pain to undo the treadle belt to change the stitch length and then get the "belt" back on. Also I didn't have the hinge pin holder thingies screwed on. I put a couple pieces of felt under the front left as the machine seemed to wobble a bit until I put the felt under.

IT SEWS!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails shuttle_b4clean102.jpg   shuttle_b4cleanotherside103.jpg   shuttle_b4-w-thread104.jpg   first-stitches645.jpg   first-stitches-underside647.jpg  

Old 03-07-2016, 12:06 AM
Banned

Yay! Nice work!

Cari
Old 03-13-2016, 02:39 AM

Unhappy Worty Dirds

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544684[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544683[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails broken-wbobin659.jpg   broken661.jpg  
Old 03-13-2016, 04:19 PM

Oh no. How did that happen?

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 03-13-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:36 PM

I'm not sure how it happened. I wound bobbin, and that looked decent. Installed in shuttle. Threaded the bobbin and tested the tension. Felt like it was the same as it had been the first time. Installed shuttle, threaded upper thread and needle making sure that upper tension was about the same as first time. Drew up the bobbin thread, took tool and drew both threads to back under presser foot. I thought I held the ends, lowered presser foot and took a few stitches by turning the hand wheel. Started treadling and the back plate popped off. The shuttle was out of place and a small piece of metal was in the track.

Dunno - I feel like I had done everything the same way. I was sewing on a different piece of fabric (than shown above), but it was on the same piece that I was sewing on when the pink bobbin thread ran out. I hadn't changed needles or anything else. Same type of thread, different color.

So absolutely frustrating.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 03-13-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:40 PM

Oh so sad, sorry about that Janey. Now what?