Old 11-16-2015, 07:48 AM
OurWorkbench

Default Weed FF model 3 update

John has the board done for it. We need larger clamps than the other machines take. I'll let him explain why, which he will post in the Work Stand thread ( http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...264914-10.html ). We have them just not on yet.

I still can't remove or replace the shuttle from the front side of the needle. This shuttle has a rounded back side but hits the needle plate and won't come out. I messed with the shuttle and found that there is some magnetism in the shuttle. It has an odd shaped screw at the 'pointy' end. It was removed easily. I took a picture yesterday but it isn't very good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535819[/ATTACH]

The head of the screw has a notch so that when rotated to line up with the bobbin you can remove the bobbin.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535820[/ATTACH]

I was able to rotate the presser foot just a little bit when I tried earlier this morning. I oiled some more. Got it to rotate a little more after about an hour. Just was able to rotate all the way. I had to rotate it so the foot part was in the shuttle area to be able to remove it. Now to clean it up.

I found that there actually is a washer under the bobbin winder. I tried to put the screw in without the bobbin winder and it came off. Evidently it was varnished on with dried up oil -- more cleaning.

I think I may have figured out the thread path and how to adjust the upper tension. Kind of interesting that the last place before threading the needle is not a thread guide (like is common on more modern machines). It actually goes through the needle bar itself. NO, I don't have a picture of it, yet. The broken needle is still on the machine. I haven't been able to just hand unscrew the clamp. I will oil some more and try again later, maybe with a little more effort.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails shuttle-screw-bobbin-release.jpg   shuttle-bobbin-stahl.jpg