View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 09:03 PM
roguequilter

i have backed flannel quilts w minky, faux fur & with the minky type fabric sold by hancocks called "novelty fleece". i prewash all the minky & minkey look alikes same as i do all of my flannels & regular quilting cottons. minky as mentioned above, is stretchy & challenging to quilt. i have always thread basted my quilts including the first minky backed quilts i made for my grand daughtesrs. few years ago i tried spray basting. i didn't spray heavily as i had read & been warned that heavy spray baste can gum up your machines needle. the first quilt i did w minkey, then another, then full sized quilting cotton quilt with flannel backing ..all spray basted and quilting them on my domestic machine was like a dream. no tucks or wrinkles in the back, no bunching or gathers on the front. no strings from thread basting or pins catching on the machine foot. minky, being a knit is challenging, but doable and the results are soooo worth it! especially for a child who loves to rub their hands across the softness