View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 03:38 AM
helou

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
.... I make no assumptions when it comes to family wanting quilts--they need to request a certain quilt if they are going to get one.
Same here. I do not make quilts for family or friend.... if they really like one that I have made, they get it.... I keep my quilts to be choosen by someone ...

This is how my aunt got one, and one of my friend did also.... my SIL asked me to do one for her, in specific colors. When I told her how much it would probably cost me to buy the fabric in the colors she liked and that I would charge her the cost for buying it, her answer was: "there is no price too high for what a quilt is worth"

so I am finishing her quilt and I will make her pay for the extra fabric I had to buy (not the batting or thread or what ever, but just the fabric I did not have).

And in the back, I printed some of her family pictures... She was in shock when I showed her while I was making it.... I know, they will not dare giving it away (with twelve pictures of their children and grand children on the back loll) If they don't use it then it becomes their solution.... they are known to have given and even sell a few things that I had given them over the last 50 years... and I only a one brother and their three daughters and five grandchildren.

Honestly, I realized that I don't like making a quilt "on request" because I am not sure that this is what they pictured in their mind when they asked me to make it.
My next steps will be to make large lap quilts from my small stash with a pattern I want to try and wait for it to find "a home" ... even if it is to give it to charity

That being said, I only do one or two quilts a year.

Last edited by helou; 11-20-2015 at 03:41 AM. Reason: to add info