Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting almost Exclusively for Charity? >

Quilting almost Exclusively for Charity?

Quilting almost Exclusively for Charity?

Old 11-20-2015, 10:30 PM

I have a niece to whom handmade gifts are accompanied by a memo to return to maker when you no longer want a hand-made gift. She finds the dump more convenient than the local thrift shop.
Don't be shy about asking your mom where the wall hanging is hiding -- maybe it is time for her to redecorate?
Old 11-21-2015, 05:03 AM

Years ago my sister told me she was going to do her sun porch in yellow and blues. I made her a wonderful, quite expensive (to me anyway) large throw quilt in those colors and mailed it to her. Imagine my horror when I went to visit and saw it covering the dog cage. Guess she loved her dog more than the quilt. She passed away last year and I was given the quilt back....it now hangs on my wall. Every time I see it I'm reminded how much she loved her dog and I smile!! Now I quilt for my 3 children and a granddaughter.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:54 AM

I began quilting for the sole purpose of giving them to charity. I needed a creative outlet and wanted a way to "give back". Quilting fills both those needs for me. I like to "think" the quilts are appreciated.

I've only made 2 baby quilts that I gifted. One went to a young lady that I call my "other daughter" and she wrote me a beautiful thank you note. The only quilt I'm working on for "family" is a bargello that will be used at our beach condo. My family has been very complimentary of my charity quilts but I don't plan on making them one unless they ask for one. Heck, I haven't even got a quilt for me to display yet. HA. I was planning to make some mug rugs for a few of them but I just haven't gotten to it yet.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:08 AM

I too, have learned no quilt gifts unless they are requested. A few years ago, 3 neices (all sisters) were expecting 6 weeks of each other. I made each of them lovely baby quilts; and resented them all on Christmas Day. One sister was just tickled and giddy; another was brought to tears; the third never even said 'thank you'. Lesson learned.
I am pleased and actually honored to make a quilt when asked. Otherwise, I make them for Project Linus.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:15 AM

I've been blessed with family who understand quilts (women in my family have been making them for generations). I told my daughter to let me know when she had enough--her reply (with that exasperated look daughters have), "Mom, you can never have too many quilts!"
Old 11-21-2015, 08:33 AM

A few years back, I made a graduation quilt for my niece who fell in love with a raffle quilt that my guild was selling raffle tickets for. I made her the same quilt. When I gifted it to her (and she loved it), my other niece was very disappointed that she did not get one for her graduation gift. Now, I never in a million years would have thought this niece would appreciate a quilt. So, I made her one, too, and announced that I would make a quilt for any family member that wanted one. I now have a list of family quilts that have been requested. I am gradually completing them and know that they will be appreciated.

I make and gift quilts for every new great niece or nephew. I do enjoy the process more, knowing who will be the recipient. I try to tailor to their tastes. This works for me.

I also squeeze in some charity quilts. I tell me family to hope for a snowy winter as I get more quilts finished. I just love to sit and sew looking out the window at the snow.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Years ago my sister told me she was going to do her sun porch in yellow and blues. I made her a wonderful, quite expensive (to me anyway) large throw quilt in those colors and mailed it to her. Imagine my horror when I went to visit and saw it covering the dog cage. Guess she loved her dog more than the quilt. She passed away last year and I was given the quilt back....it now hangs on my wall. Every time I see it I'm reminded how much she loved her dog and I smile!! Now I quilt for my 3 children and a granddaughter.
Well, thank goodness the quilt when on TOP of the dog crate! I would've been horrified, too. But I'm glad that the quilt reminds you of your sister's love for her dog and doesn't bring resentment.