Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting almost Exclusively for Charity? >

Quilting almost Exclusively for Charity?

Quilting almost Exclusively for Charity?

Old 11-19-2015, 09:46 PM

Default Quilting almost Exclusively for Charity?

I've got plenty of people in my family to quilt for, but I seem more drawn to quilting for charity. Why is that? I wonder if I'm afraid that my efforts may not be appreciated by those I know, and it would hurt fo find out? Somehow I have this notion that every charity quilt is appreciated, but that might not be the case either.

I guess I DO know why I'm reluctant to sew for family. My mom put a quilt that I made (wall hanging) in a closet after I gave it it her even though she ooh'ed and aah'ed over it). I never saw it again but have been afraid to ask her where it is or why she never displayed it. Another time I made a quilted pillow case (decorative) for my adult daughter and she loved it--but only for 2 months, then gave it to Goodwill. I know I should give without expecting my creation to be used by my family .

Anyone else feel very hesitant to make anything for any family member, and prefer to give away everything you quilt to charity?

Last edited by zozee; 11-19-2015 at 09:48 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-19-2015, 09:53 PM

I like giving when there are no expectations. I like receiving when there are no expectations.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:50 PM

I rarely make for family as they would say thank you when receiving it then squirrel it away before eventually getting rid. I feel that after hours of work love and frustration and money I've put into the quilt I am upset to think it is trashed.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:56 AM

When you quilt for charity, you honestly don't know what has happened to your quilts. Maybe the lack of knowledge and lack of ability to know is comforting to you. You have no idea if the recipient also dumped your quilt after 2 weeks, or began using it as a floor mop in a week.

I make simple quilts for charity because I don't want to spend a lot of time on them because I don't know what is going to happen to them. I do know that people who generally "get a lot given to them" often have a very "easy come/easy go" mentality. Don't assume that somehow they appreciate them more than your own family. They may, or may not.

No flames necessary. We have a charitable organization here in Poland and these things are first-hand observations.

But as to your family, is there anyone else in your family who might want a quilt? They might like one--just ask first. I make no assumptions when it comes to family wanting quilts--they need to request a certain quilt if they are going to get one.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
.... I make no assumptions when it comes to family wanting quilts--they need to request a certain quilt if they are going to get one.
Same here. I do not make quilts for family or friend.... if they really like one that I have made, they get it.... I keep my quilts to be choosen by someone ...

This is how my aunt got one, and one of my friend did also.... my SIL asked me to do one for her, in specific colors. When I told her how much it would probably cost me to buy the fabric in the colors she liked and that I would charge her the cost for buying it, her answer was: "there is no price too high for what a quilt is worth"

so I am finishing her quilt and I will make her pay for the extra fabric I had to buy (not the batting or thread or what ever, but just the fabric I did not have).

And in the back, I printed some of her family pictures... She was in shock when I showed her while I was making it.... I know, they will not dare giving it away (with twelve pictures of their children and grand children on the back loll) If they don't use it then it becomes their solution.... they are known to have given and even sell a few things that I had given them over the last 50 years... and I only a one brother and their three daughters and five grandchildren.

Honestly, I realized that I don't like making a quilt "on request" because I am not sure that this is what they pictured in their mind when they asked me to make it.
My next steps will be to make large lap quilts from my small stash with a pattern I want to try and wait for it to find "a home" ... even if it is to give it to charity

That being said, I only do one or two quilts a year.

Last edited by helou; 11-20-2015 at 03:41 AM. Reason: to add info
Old 11-20-2015, 04:47 AM

I have family that do want and appreciate my quilts. I rarely make specific requests. They just get to choose from what I have already made. I guess that means lucky me 😀
Old 11-20-2015, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I like giving when there are no expectations. I like receiving when there are no expectations.
Oh DebraK, I could NOT have said it any better. I don't have any family left but enjoy making items for my friends and mostly do enjoy making charity quilts. My focus has been on Foster kids who have very little of their own stuff in their world. I do it anonymously but hope I bring some joy that they know someone in this world DOES care about them.

If she has it in the closet, don't let it bother you. She may just be wanting to keep it clean. My mother didn't appreciate my artist ability when I was bringing ribbons home from quilt shows. Just make them for the family members that will appreciate your hard work or when they may hint or request something.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
Well said! I have 2 comments:1) as Debra said, giving with no expectations is great, which is probably why you like giving to charities. 2) Hope I don't make any enemies here, but my 2 cent comment is NEVER give a home dec item, like a wall hanging or pillow, unless expressly requested by the recipient. You may love it, they may love it, but if they think it doesn't go with their décor, it won't be used. A throw or bedquilt may not be put on display, but when it's cold enough, it will be used!

I usually just have quilts hanging around my house. When someone comments positively about one, it has just found it's new home.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-20-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:35 AM

My quilts are serendipity to the recipients. They don't ever know I am making them one or when they will receive it. I frequently start out making a quilt and it "talks" to tell me where it wants to go. I have relatives who don't give me the time of day who have received a quilt and have oohhed and ahhhed over it. I also have quilts I have made for a particular person that have gone to community quilts because I know they won't appreciate it.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:37 AM

I, also, usually don't quilt for my family. I will do doll quilts for my sweet granddaughter, but I would rather not know that others in the family don't care enough to use or display the quilts I give them. I usually plan on giving all my completed quilts to charity.

Susan