Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting almost Exclusively for Charity? >

Quilting almost Exclusively for Charity?

Quilting almost Exclusively for Charity?

Old 11-20-2015, 01:12 PM

I, spent nearly 200 hours making this intricate dimensional quilt for my niece. I spent so much extra time tacking everything down 3x as much as recommended to make sure the quilt was durable enough for a 12 month old. My SIL decided it was "too pretty" for a child, even though it is a crib quilt. It went straight into the closet. I was beyond heartbroken.

I almost decided not to make a quilt for the little boy they are expecting in February, but I really want all my nieces & nephews to have their own quilt (they are like my children since I don't have any of my own). So, I spent a lot of time asking questions about my brother/SIL's decor for the nursery & searching for quilt designs that would match. I settled on a white whole cloth quilt with a nautical theme (Ships Aweigh by Holice Turnbow). My SIL loves it & has been bragging about it to all her neighbors -- who have in turn asked if they could pay me to make them one. I think the fact that her neighbors have offered to pay me $3500 for a similar quilt has changed her mind about whether to hide quilts in the closet or put them out for all to see. And the fact that I can't imagine any amount of money making it worth it to me to hand quilt more than one of these things makes it all the more special. I really like doing applique, so doing something in white whole cloth is quite a stretch for me. But at least it won't be relegated to a dark closet somewhere as something "too special to use"... hopefully.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:50 PM

I have made quilts for most of the girls in my family. I have told them that they are meant to be snuggled. I tell them to use them until they fall apart. Or, if they don't like them anymore, give them back or donate. They are made to the taste of the recipient, and I know that taste can change.
The quilts that I make for 'no one in particular', are much more enjoyable to make. I can do what ever I want, and not worry if anyone will like it.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:15 PM

After reading this I remember why I don't not make things for others. I'm still working and don't have a great deal of time so I prefer to work on things I like and want. Others often don't appreciate the time, effort and money that goes into quilts. The only things I've made lately were some pillowcases for the DH, my niece and nephew and some friends. They were quick and easy and I wasn't worried about what they did with them.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:39 PM

If you want to make quilts for charity, then do so. It's your money and time and it seems that your family certainly doesn't appreciate any of your "creations". I'm sure that whichever charity/charities that you would make quilts for, would certainly appreciate them.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:21 PM

I only make charity quilts, the family has plenty of quilts; some don't appreciate the work that goes into a quality quilt. I have an inlaw that says she doesn't need any more "blankets", so she won't get any.
Sharon
Old 11-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

I made a quilt for my mom and included linen I had from her mom. She loves it and shows it to everyone but refuses to use it. It is too special. ARGH! Now I am working on a small throw for her that is not going to be special and if I hear one word about her being cold - THERE WILL BE WORDS.

My sister recently took the quilt I made her off the bed because it no longer went with the décor (and it really doesn't). I had sent her a wallhanging of a giraffe. She likes it but it doesn't go. So I know that I enjoyed making it and she enjoyed getting it. That's enough.

Some people ask me for quilts but I know how they handle their things and it will be cold day in hell before I give them something hand-made.

My guild has a community service group and I enjoy giving to them as well. Sometimes it's just a batch of blocks, sometimes a top, and sometimes a finished project. These items go to kids who get admitted to local hospitals. We get the sweetest thank you notes from the parents or caregivers - makes my heart happy to know that my work made someone smile.

I don't assume any longer that I know best what people like. If I want to make them a quilt I try to find out (inconspicuously) what they like and even if they like quilts (or hand-made items). If I can find a fit - I make it work. Of not, there are always gift cards.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:25 PM

I guess I am blessed. Most of my quilts go to family. I just made another one for a grandson who wore out his graduation quilt. I love seeing them used and yes, occasionally abused. Like the time I found my grand dog sleeping on one, but was told, Grandma, he loves it because it smells like you. Whadda ya do!
Old 11-20-2015, 06:41 PM

The first quilt I gave away I made for a friends 12 yr old daughter. Went over to their house and the quilt was hung (with large nails) over a large 2nd story window to "keep the sun out." It was many, many years before I made another quilt to give away. The next give away quilt was made recently for a sweet young lady who worked for me and was going away to college. She was so appreciative and happy with the quilt and sent me pictures of it on her bed. It will always be the rare occasion that I make a quilt for someone else since quilting is a way for me to express myself and create.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:55 PM

Like you, i make a lot of charity quilts. There are several reasons.

1) No matter what I make, sooner or later a child, a veteran, a family whose home has burned, etc, will eventually pick it out/get it and love it. Most of the charity quilts that I make go to foster children, in part because my Dad and my maternal grandfather were the equivalent of foster children many years ago. It gives me a little connection to their history and lives. a way to honor them.

2) My grandchildren appreciate their quilts. I have grand nieces and nephews who I plan to make quilts for, but am not actually doing it because I don't get thank you's for the gifts I give them now. I also have grand nieces and nephews who I did make quilts for who truly value their quilts, use them and care for them the best way a kid can.

3) Because I like to!

Please note that I made a quilt for my son and he complained so much about it that I finally said, "Well, give it back to me." His response? "No. If I do you'll never make another one for me!" He appreciated it, but couldn't just come right out and say so! That's the way he is and I long ago accepted that. His heart is almost always in the right place, but sometimes his mouth is not.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:58 PM

At least the dog had both good taste and the good sense to use the quilt! Stories like this make me wonder how some people get along in the world.