Old 11-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Macybaby

Default I may have cross the "too much fabric" line . . .

But it's sure fun on this side!

Over 30 years ago my older sister (she's more than 10 years older than me) worked in a quilt shop for about three years. And, of course, she bought anything she fell in love with. As the years went by she sewed up a few things, but never really did get into quilting like she thought she might.

She's now retirement age, and knows it's not something she ever wants to do again, and I told her if she ever wanted to part with it, I'd buy it from her. I've been carrying on my Mom's plan of making quilts for all the family members, so I'm always looking for affordable fabric. (since I have 9 siblings and over 30 nieces and nephews and the grands are showing up now).

I just got home from visiting her, and came back with 6 boxes of fabric. I've gone through one and it's over 45 yards - with most being 2-3 yard cuts. The best thing -she and I have similar likes in colors, so I knew I'd love it all. She wanted to go through it all before sending it down the road, and she said it felt like visiting old friends.

I'll be making her a scrappy quilt to use pieces of as many fabrics as I can, so she can still have them. She also showed me some special fabrics she had bought when her twins were little (20 years ago) but never used, so I'll be making them both lap quilts - and maybe some day they can use them as baby quilts for a future generation of family members.

What made me realize I may need to stop buying fabric - I think this will increase my stash by about 30%. Good thing I make a couple of quilts a month!