View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 03:38 AM
miriam
Power Poster

I tinkered with every machine I have ever owned for years including some industrial machines with the exception of plastic machines and even then most of the time it is a user problem. Then since I'm in Indianapolis where we have no basements and garbage rationing, and machines are readily available, I found derelect machines and made them work. Along the way I did take Ray White's classes. The beginner class was a nice review and the advanced class was kind of ADHD for me. He is knowledgeable. There will always be a lot more to learn - at least for me there is. There is a list of resources in the "sticky notes" you can learn a lot from that. If you are wanting to learn to work on high end plastic wonders you will have to go to the specific school to work on specific machines. It would be a good idea to work on something real basic before you attempt that though. I have learned a lot disassembling an old parts machine or two, too. It is fun to figure out what something does and how it does it. Then why doesn't work like I think it should. There are people here on QB all the time that attempt to fix something and get themselves in a fix. I think it helps to be somewhat mechanical thinker to begin with. Do a little home work or spend the time and money on the classes somewhere before you start something. A lot of time there is good info in the owners manual. A lot of the repairs I see are user errors. Know how to trouble shoot. Tammi has spent hours making videos and they are very well done - check them out. If it just a hobby it could be cheaper to pay to repair or replace the Bernina than to pay for classes.

Last edited by miriam; 11-25-2015 at 03:41 AM.