View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 11:45 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I recently got a sewing table so my machine is at proper height for my arms, but now I'm struggling to see. My machine is now flat instead of tilted & it's now 3" lower. Bernina sells magnifiers for my machine, but I was wondering whether I might just be better off setting up a large computer monitor at eye level & aiming a video camera at my machine needle so that way I'm not having to strain my neck by looking downward for hours while quilting. Has anybody tried a live video feed? How did it work?

Also wondering if anyone was getting neck/shoulder pain from tilting neck down to see where to quilt, but was helped by a magnifier. I have close to 20/20 vision & TONS of bright lighting in my sewing studio (plus natural light from windows with a UV film) so it's not my vision. I've had multiple neck & back surgeries so tilting my neck down is difficult & very painful, but I'm not about to give up a hobby/job I love this much!
I have the same issues due to past injuries, and what worked for me was using a former "teacher's desk" that I got at a resale shop to set my machine on, and then lowering my sewing chair untill I was eye level with the needle. I just have to use the edge of the desk to help me get up, but it makes sewing much easier. Fidget until you find what works. You could try adding a platform of some kind on the desk you have, that might also work. As long as your feet are comfortably on the floor, you will work better for the effort.