View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 01:42 PM
sewbeadit

Default Singer 31-20 help

I posted on vintage Singers group these questions and got some great answers but can't seem to post a pic there, so would like to ask for some help here where I know how to post pics. Hope that is okay.

I bought this 31-20 the other day and really want to try it out and get it going but don't want to ruin the motor if it needs to be serviced or lubed. So the biggest question is, does anyone know if this motor needs to be lubed/oiled or what? It runs well and smooth sounding, but I haven't run it long. I no nothing about motors.

I also need to know what type of oil to use and or grease or both for the machine head. I have tri-flow grease and oil and regular sewing machine oil. So I am wondering if there is something different I should be using. The old manual lists heavy grade oils, etc, but I haven't a clue what those would be. Can I oil it as I go or does it take gallons of oil for this, I won't be using it really fast or for long periods of time like an industrial machine would be used. I have heard these machines are great for quilting and such so will give it a try when I can get it going safely. Thanks for your help.[ATTACH=CONFIG]537549[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537551[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537553[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_5785.jpg   img_5784.jpg   img_5782.jpg