Thread: Fireman's quilt
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 11:21 AM
117becca

The teachers in my bldg asked me to do a quilt for the principal. She'll get it on Thurs. The person w/ the idea wanted the teachers to create a block w/ marker. I got the sharpie fabric markers, cut out the squares and ironed the freezer paper to the back. This made drawing on the paper very easy because the freezer paper added stability to the fabric.

Not everyone turned in a block, so i designed the border w/ some blank blocks to sign.

I liked the Sharpie Fabric Markers because the tips were soft and didn't require a lot of pressure when writing on the fabric. This was a definite plus because when people were signing the blocks inside the border, the quilt was already put together and in the process of being quilted.

Because the quilt was in the process of being quilted (I hand quilt), i had people doodle on the back side to get a "feel" for the marker before marking on the front. People still mentioned that it was easier to print vs sign their name in cursive. The blocks backed w/ freezer paper could be treated as if writing on paper.

Here are some pictures (complete w/ the local project inspector ).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537962[/ATTACH]

A couple of the blocks the staff created:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537963[/ATTACH]

The corner w/ the blocks that people signed:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537964[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg   003.jpg   005.jpg