Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fireman's quilt

Fireman's quilt

A good friend of ours is retiring in May after 33 years working as a fireman/emt. I would like to make him a quilt and have all the attendees at the retirement party sign the quilt. Does anyone have any good ideas on what quilt pattern to use? I am stumped.

Thanks
    Carmen
    Carmen E.

Blog Entries
    Maybe a split rail pattern, and have the people sign with a permanent marker on the light sections.............

A google search on Fireman's Quilts will give you many ideas. Maybe you could make the sashing look like ladders. Don't ask me how to do this.

You really don't want people to try to sign a finished quilt. You certainly can prep the blocks with freezer paper (applied to the back of fabric) to make it easier to sign the fabric. Check out these Signature quilts on Google:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sign...w=1024&bih=622
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    You really don't want people to try to sign a finished quilt. You certainly can prep the blocks with freezer paper (applied to the back of fabric) to make it easier to sign the fabric. Check out these Signature quilts on Google:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sign...w=1024&bih=622
    Ditto to what ManiacQuilter2 said. Whatever you do, don't use a Sharpie to write with. I followed some online advice about testing markers, and used a white piece of fabric, writing on it with all the markers I could find, ironing it, then putting through the washer with a load of towels. My favorite was and is the Crayola Fabric Markers. I also tested each color in the box to choose the color I wanted to write with. If you want to see a mess, try writing on the fabric without the freezer paper backing, and a bigger mess with the Sharpies.

I believe that Marshalldrygoods.com still has available the fabric with Dalmation pups in firefighter gear, should be listed under Novelty.

Maybe have the quilt completed for the party, but have a large label for everyone to sign?

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Maybe have the quilt completed for the party, but have a large label for everyone to sign?
    That sounds like the best way to do it. It would prevent someone accidently marking up the finished quilt in the wrong place. It would also prevent the marker bleeding through the finished quilt. You are a great person to do all of that work. I know the recipient will be delighted.

yel
    Blog Entries
    could do a scrappy and have some blocks that are so;id to sign...there are some really cute fire fabrics out there ...

I keep going back to my "ladder" sashing thought. Maybe you could have everyone sign their name on the ladder rungs before piecing the quilt.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if you could get a few of his old fire department t-shirts to incorporate into the quilt... My son just handed me a dozen of his collection so that I can make him a "fireman" themed t-shirt quilt for the bed at his station.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I like the idea of a rail fence and have every one at the party sign on the ligh trails in a permanet marker. It wouldn't mater if it was already quilted and bound.

Thank you everyone for great ideas.
    Carmen E.

Blog Entries
    The first thing that I thought of was to take a picture of the quilt and have everyone sign it - perhaps have it in a 2 pic frame and have a picture of the retirement party group in the other side. I love the idea of ladder sashing. I think I would make the blocks more about the area he served than just fireman items. I like to have images or symbols of things. Examples would be the fireman's pole, his hat, crossed axes, the flag, etc. But, no matter what you decide, I am sure he will be thrilled with this gift.

Our guild did a quilt that was applique, however, the reason I am telling you is that they did an 8" piano key border l l/2" wide on it. It also had cornerstones. They then had it on the wall and every new member signed one of the piano keys. It looks awesome

Quote Originally Posted by calla View Post
    Maybe a split rail pattern, and have the people sign with a permanent marker on the light sections.............
    Use a Pigma pen, not a Sharpie. The Sharpie will bleed yellow, not a good look.

for the center of the quilt, have a print of his fireman badge put on fabric, I like the suggestions of guest signing the ladder borders.

A ladder setting strip could be made by sewing alternating strips of ladder and background fabric WOF to the length of the setting block, cutting "slabs" of this striped fabric, then sewing additional strips of the ladder fabric along each side of the "slab".
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

here are some pictures I took of a tshirt quilt I made for a firefighter. I found fabric that looked like fire for the sashing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by calla View Post
    I would NOT use a Sharpie marker, it bleeds when writing on fabric.

I just finished an "autograph" type quilt for the principal of my building and I used Sharpie FABRIC MARKERS that I got at Hobby Lobby. They washed great, too!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

The teachers in my bldg asked me to do a quilt for the principal. She'll get it on Thurs. The person w/ the idea wanted the teachers to create a block w/ marker. I got the sharpie fabric markers, cut out the squares and ironed the freezer paper to the back. This made drawing on the paper very easy because the freezer paper added stability to the fabric.

Not everyone turned in a block, so i designed the border w/ some blank blocks to sign.

I liked the Sharpie Fabric Markers because the tips were soft and didn't require a lot of pressure when writing on the fabric. This was a definite plus because when people were signing the blocks inside the border, the quilt was already put together and in the process of being quilted.

Because the quilt was in the process of being quilted (I hand quilt), i had people doodle on the back side to get a "feel" for the marker before marking on the front. People still mentioned that it was easier to print vs sign their name in cursive. The blocks backed w/ freezer paper could be treated as if writing on paper.

Here are some pictures (complete w/ the local project inspector ).

Name:  002.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  81.0 KB

A couple of the blocks the staff created:

Name:  003.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  87.7 KB

The corner w/ the blocks that people signed:

Name:  005.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  89.9 KB
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Power Poster
    warm wishes is a good pattern
    QUILTNMO