View Single Post
Old 12-25-2015, 01:11 PM
tessagin
Power Poster

Many years ago while still living in Ft. Wayne, I purchases a new artificial tree. It was the most cantankerous thing. I got it right after Thanksgiving on sale for $25.00 back then. I found out why. After wrestling with it and trying all I could to get it together, I tried to move it to a better spot. Lights and all on the bottom just stayed put. Took it apart and with the lights still on it, I packed it up and got a different one. Still little over 3 weeks til Christmas I took it to the YWCA who takes donations for the Women's shelter at that time. I explained everything and said I hoped it would stay put for them. They asked if I wanted a receipt and I said no, only a photo of it with some happy faces if it stayed intact. I prayed for that. A week later I got a Christmas card of a Christmas tree with little heads covered in SAnta caps facing away from the camera (security reasons). One of the repair persons for the shelter fixed it. With the extra $50.00 allotted for a tree, they were able to do more for the children for Christmas. I cried and cried and still get tears even as I write this. Memories of those little Santa caps still dance in my head. That was one of my best Christmases when I can get a child to think of something other than the trauma they've been through. One other time, I had a listing of an estate. The lady had 5 boxes 3x3x3 of gift wrap remnants. Donated that with permission from the owner to a type of Toys for tots. luckily I had an 87 suburban to put them in the back. that helped with paper budget and a bag of tape.