View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 12:12 PM
DianaZ

Hi, Frudemoo! Was very happy to see your post. My New Years resolution is to start learning to sew on my mother's Phoenix 283F. The picture you sent looks to be identical. A bit of history you might find interesting:

About 15 years ago I had this machine cleaned and oiled. The gentleman who worked on it said this model was very innovative for its time, and of the highest quality. He said it had "all the bells and whistles" and would have been quite expensive at the time. After my mom passed away, I found the sales receipt. My grandfather (a professional mens' tailor in Frankfurt) bought it on her behalf in 1953. It was described as "slightly used" and went for 450 Deutsche Marks -- equivalent of about $125 dollars in 1953. That's over $1000 in 2015 dollars...

For some reason the manual that came with it was a 282. The illustrations in it look slightly different from my machine. Too bad it's in German! (I can read it, but only with great difficulty.) I did download the 2-part pdf in English which is at http://rudolfcouture.com/service/sewing-machines/ but it's for a 282/282 F. As I said, mine looks exactly like "Fawkes", with free arm, foot pedal, original carrying case and molded wooden work table. At some point someone rigged up a converter for US electrical outlets. (My mom used it for years here without it blowing up, so hopefully it's safe...)

After my mom moved to the US around 1955, the store she had bought the Phoenix from sent her the address of a company in Chicago which they said might be able to assist her with parts and service. Roman Raichert is no longer there, but it appears a successor ( http://www.raichert.com/ ) is still in business specializing in imported sewing machines.

I hope this is of some use or at least some interest to you, and that "Fawkes" is still humming along! Happy 2016,
Diana Z
.................................................. ...................................
"Here are some pics!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]423858[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]423859[/ATTACH]
The distinctive 'clam shell' bobbin area. It also has an eye on the bobbin case that you need to thread the bobbin thread through... I haven't seen that before.

My favourite feature so far is that you can wind a bobbin from the 2nd spool without unthreading the main sewing thread. The bobbin thread travels a different path which I think is very clever.[/QUOTE]