Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

I see no reason for you to be embarrassed about your FIRST quilt, I think you did an amazing job and like you said, the top stayed together, plus your grandson is anxiously awaiting the return of his cuddle quilt. My first quilt consisted of a cheater panel in orange and pink, and besides the backing, I added not one, but two layers of an old mattress cover, and another layer of batting. Overkill, yes you could say so, however, my Kenmore loved to work on heavier fabrics, and made the quilting easy, but by no means perfect. Fortunately, I learned from my mistakes and the next quilt made for my DD was and is the only hand quilted full size quilt I have made, due to carpal tunnel, and from then on each quilt became better and better. Am I a master quilter, by no means, but I think I make beautiful quilts and so does my family as they look forward to the reunion quilt I make every other year from fabric they send me: Ever try to make a quilt using orange, black, yellow, purple, red, green, navy blue and teal? I have and it really wasn't so bad, and I was happy when my oldest brother won it, although my aunt tried to call "fowl" when I drew his name. She was kidding, as she wanted the quilt too. As long as I'm able I will continue to make quilts for our family reunions even if I can't attend, my quilts will live on. Although I'm giving a lot of thought as to what to do with all the leftover fabrics from about 10-12 quilts. Any suggestions?