Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever been embarrassed by your earliest quilting efforts? >

Have you ever been embarrassed by your earliest quilting efforts?

Have you ever been embarrassed by your earliest quilting efforts?

Old 01-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

If it held together and grandson loved it - it was a success!

I consider seeing room for improvement a positive - even if I don't do anything about it!
Old 01-09-2016, 03:05 PM

I am no more embarrassed by my first efforts at quilting than I was with my first efforts at walking, dressing myself, cooking a meal, or changing a diaper.

We all crawl before we can walk and walk before we can run. In between, there's a whole lot of stumbling; it's how we learn.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:01 PM

Awww.... as many others have said "we all start somewhere". I keep my first quilt as my avatar to remind myself that it's okay to try new things and not to be perfect. Yes, if I were to make that same quilt today, there are dozens of things I would do differently & at some point I might add more quilting to it because I never meant for it to last more than a couple of years, but I am proud that I took the leap with that first quilt and started something that I truly love. And besides... I'm sure that in another year or two, I will look at the quilts I'm making now & think "wow! If I'd only know I could've done that so much better".
Old 01-09-2016, 05:08 PM

We've all made a "bottle of Scotch" quilt in our early days! Certainly your grandson hasn't complained! But I'm sure you're happy to have improved it since it was bothering you. (! It's a sweet quilt, "warts and all."
Old 01-09-2016, 05:33 PM

A true treasure, no matter what! I bet your dggs loves it, and that is all that matters!
Old 01-10-2016, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Your quilt was made with love and nice materials. It only needed to upgrade to make you happier. That is a wonderful quilt. Just so you know that some of us made our first quilt completely wrong, I will tell you about my first ever attempt at quilting. Up until I tried to make my first quilt, I had only done sewing to fit people that were mostly done without patterns, since grandma Helen taught me to make clothes that way. She always bought new fabric when we sewed, so I did not know much about fabric at that time. When I saw my BFF's sister's first quilt, (a powder blue log cabin) that she had made in California at a "Quilt in a Day" class with Eleanor Burns. I thought, how hard could it be? Anything that follows that question should just be avoided in favor of taking a class to do it right. My first quilt was a "scrappy" (doesn't that mean whatever scraps you can find?) made of "found" fabrics, one of which was a former curtain from my BFF's mom's kitchen...I managed to get most of the corners to meet, the colors were playing well together, and I thought "wow, it was easier than I thought". I gave it to oldest DD, because she loved it. Imagine my horror when I washed it the first time, and every square made with the curtain fabric had dissolved! The whole quilt did not survive the first year! My DD has one of the squares that did survive, in her baby book captioned,"What is left of the first quilt mom made me". Anything less than this catastrophe of a quilt is a success. Never use former curtains in a quilt, since the sun will degrade the fabric too much to reuse. Lesson learned.
Your story truly made me LOL!