Old 01-10-2016, 05:55 AM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Your quilt was made with love and nice materials. It only needed to upgrade to make you happier. That is a wonderful quilt. Just so you know that some of us made our first quilt completely wrong, I will tell you about my first ever attempt at quilting. Up until I tried to make my first quilt, I had only done sewing to fit people that were mostly done without patterns, since grandma Helen taught me to make clothes that way. She always bought new fabric when we sewed, so I did not know much about fabric at that time. When I saw my BFF's sister's first quilt, (a powder blue log cabin) that she had made in California at a "Quilt in a Day" class with Eleanor Burns. I thought, how hard could it be? Anything that follows that question should just be avoided in favor of taking a class to do it right. My first quilt was a "scrappy" (doesn't that mean whatever scraps you can find?) made of "found" fabrics, one of which was a former curtain from my BFF's mom's kitchen...I managed to get most of the corners to meet, the colors were playing well together, and I thought "wow, it was easier than I thought". I gave it to oldest DD, because she loved it. Imagine my horror when I washed it the first time, and every square made with the curtain fabric had dissolved! The whole quilt did not survive the first year! My DD has one of the squares that did survive, in her baby book captioned,"What is left of the first quilt mom made me". Anything less than this catastrophe of a quilt is a success. Never use former curtains in a quilt, since the sun will degrade the fabric too much to reuse. Lesson learned.
Your story truly made me LOL!