Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever been embarrassed by your earliest quilting efforts? >

Have you ever been embarrassed by your earliest quilting efforts?

Have you ever been embarrassed by your earliest quilting efforts?

Old 01-04-2016, 08:52 PM

We all have to start somewhere and each quilt is made with love no matter what level of confidence you are at. The important thing is that you enjoyed making it and your grandson enjoyed snuggling under it.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:03 AM

Isn't quilting about giving to others and growing in our abilities? There are plenty of posts about quilts given with love but recieved by indifference. You have given a quilt that us obviously much used and loved and all you see is your "imperfections"? I am stunned! I guess that you are negative in other ways too.

Sandy
Old 01-05-2016, 04:10 AM

I think it did not matter at all what the quilt looked like to your grandson. I look at all my quilts and cringe at some parts of them but it is something I love to do.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:03 AM

I learned to sew at home at around age 10, so my quilt tops are ok.....it's the colors that I had to learn to change up! I was always going for the coordinating colors, not contrasting colors to give my quilts that 'umph' that makes them shine!
Old 01-05-2016, 05:46 AM

The answer to your question is a definite YES! I had no idea what I was doing with binding or even quilting...just went for it.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:10 AM

I have to honestly say, no, not at all. I do know I didn't know what I was doing but each stitch was made with my grandson (who was in Afghanistan at the time) and my Mother (who had just passed, I had found her squares while cleaning) in mind. Nope, no matter what, it was my first, made with love and I would not change a stitch. I guess it really is perspective.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 AM

My sister recently showed me the quilt I made when my nephew was born, almost 15 years ago now. I wasn't a quilter then and just went off of memories of seeing my grandmother's work...in a very flawed sort of way!

It's held up, mostly - some of the fabric I used was vintage fabric that had been in the family for years and that fabric started giving way in a couple spots, but the bulk of the quilt was...well, still there. LOL It's extremely amateurish - so many seams are wobbly and crooked and I can tell the idea of a consistent seam allowance was nowhere in my mind when I made it, and I also obviously had no clue how to attach the pre-made satin "baby blanket" binding I had purchased so I just sort of sewed it on...and my "quilting"...yikes, it's questionable at best! But every stitch was made with love and most of them are still there, so I forgive myself for not being very skilled when I made it. I did well enough for it to survive nearly 15 years, that's not bad for a total beginner!

I offered to fix it up my my nephew didn't like that idea. He says it has history and shouldn't be changed. Oddly wise words coming from a guy who hasn't had his voice crack yet.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:16 AM

It is a journey, nothing to be embarrassed about---rather be happy with your improved skills!!!
Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

I see no reason for you to be embarrassed about your FIRST quilt, I think you did an amazing job and like you said, the top stayed together, plus your grandson is anxiously awaiting the return of his cuddle quilt. My first quilt consisted of a cheater panel in orange and pink, and besides the backing, I added not one, but two layers of an old mattress cover, and another layer of batting. Overkill, yes you could say so, however, my Kenmore loved to work on heavier fabrics, and made the quilting easy, but by no means perfect. Fortunately, I learned from my mistakes and the next quilt made for my DD was and is the only hand quilted full size quilt I have made, due to carpal tunnel, and from then on each quilt became better and better. Am I a master quilter, by no means, but I think I make beautiful quilts and so does my family as they look forward to the reunion quilt I make every other year from fabric they send me: Ever try to make a quilt using orange, black, yellow, purple, red, green, navy blue and teal? I have and it really wasn't so bad, and I was happy when my oldest brother won it, although my aunt tried to call "fowl" when I drew his name. She was kidding, as she wanted the quilt too. As long as I'm able I will continue to make quilts for our family reunions even if I can't attend, my quilts will live on. Although I'm giving a lot of thought as to what to do with all the leftover fabrics from about 10-12 quilts. Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:45 AM

I am sometimes embarrassed by my earlier efforts and then I realize it's ok, because it's all part of my journey to becoming a better quilter!