View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 11:17 AM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
Wow madquilter! I really like that pattern. What is that?
I learned this on a craftsy class and it is relatively easy. You do have to deal with bias edges which are not too much fun BUT you do avoid the Y-seam. Here is how I did it:
Requirements: 1 (40 count) Jelly Roll and <2 yds of a coordinating fabric for the background triangles and border.
1. Sort jelly roll into darks and lights and put one dark strip with one light strip.
2. Sew these 2 contrasting jelly roll strips together. (I pressed the seams open)
3. Cut 60-degree triangles – flipping the ruler to use the entire length of the jelly roll. You will get enough for TWO hexagons and 4 pieces for the end.
4. Sort the triangles into two sets of 6 where all the fabrics are aligned in the same position. (Dark on the bottom for one set and light on the bottom for the other.)
5. Align the triangles so they form the whirligig and sew two sets of 3. (I pressed the seams open) IMPORTANT: DO NOT SEW THE TWO HALVES TOGETHER
6. Cut 4 1/2 inch strips from the background fabric (I needed 7) and subcut these into triangles. (92 or 94 required, can’t remember exactly.) Make sure to note where the straight edge is to keep manipulating the bias to a minimum.
7. Lay out your hexies for a pleasing pattern and notice that there is a gap at the ends of the shorter rows. That hole gets filled by sewing 2 of the leftover pieces together. (You’ll have to match up the color how you like them. Notice that I alternated the same colors)
8. Fill in the holes with the 2-piece halves.
9. On the long rows, sew a triangle to the end of each half-hexi. Then sew the hexies together. Make sure to watch the order. Repeat for the bottom half.
10. Sew the halves together into a full row. I did a lot of pinning to make sure the points met.
11. The short rows also have triangles sewn to the hexies but those rows start with a half-hexi
12. Sew the rows together.
13. Trim the sides leaving 1/4 inch.
14. Add border (or borders as desired)
I had to rip a bit because I kept sewing the hexies on the bottom half in the wrong order.