View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 11:43 AM
marge954

I made my own crusts for years and years and then my dad got me started on the name brand (red box, little dough boy). I let them thaw out on the counter for about an hour. I spray the pie pan with a cooking spray but have never floured the pie shell. I have a ceramic pie pan and a glass pie pan and the glass one will tend to stick sometimes.
The only guess that I have is that either there were holes in the crust so your sticky pecan filling somehow leaked in between the crust and the pan, or perhaps it was filled too far up to the rim and the pecan filling expanded and dripped over the side. Either way, you'd end up with pecan filling sticking the crust to the pan.
This post brought back a memory from my first marriage. My husband bragged all the time about his mother's pies. Being a newlywed I figured since I loved pie too I'd learn to make pies. Made several pies with a store bought shell. He ate them but remarked that his mom made her own pie shells. Okay, I can do that. Next time I made pie I also made the crust. He ate the pie and scraped the crust in the trash. I thought he didn't like the taste so I asked him why he threw the crust away. He said, "I said mom made her own crust, I didn't say I ate it." I hadn't noticed he was only eating the filling! Short marriage!